Friday, September 20, 2024

New smoothie cafe attracts thirsty students

Lansing residents Jordan Wood, left, and Terence Wilkerson have smoothies Monday afternoon at Tropical Smoothie Cafe, 1201 E. Grand River Ave. Samantha Radecki/The State News

Now a week old, Tropical Smoothie Cafe 1201 E. Grand River Ave., is going strong, owner Ruth Buko said.

“It’s been a great experience,” she said of the first week of business.

“The first day we were packed, and even when it rained (last week) we had customers.”

In addition to smoothies, the cafe offers sandwiches and salads as well as flatbreads. Buko also said the cafe’s location, right next to a Little Caesars Pizza, 1203 E. Grand River Ave., has helped business. Customers often will buy a smoothie and then walk over for pizza or vice versa, she said.

The cafe has managed to attract substantial student business, Buko said. The cafe also has hired a number of student employees. Buko said about 90 percent of the 20 or so employees are students, almost all of whom attend MSU. There also are a few employees from Lansing Community College, she said.

Ariana Warfield, general manager of Bubble Island, 515 E. Grand River Ave., said her business hasn’t been affected by the opening of the cafe, calling the last week “business as usual.”

“I’m not worried (about a drop in business),” Warfield said. “We do offer smoothies, but they’re only about a sixth of what we do.”

Warfield also mentioned the cafe’s location isn’t ideal, from her point of view.

“I think it works to their disadvantage,” she said. “It’s a bit of a hike (from campus) compared to where we are.”

Still, Buko said the location hasn’t been an issue with business. She said she’s seen a number of families come to the cafe, which she was pleased about. The presence of families also gives her hope for the summer, when there are fewer students around.

“When students are gone, we should see more families,” she said. “We’re a little concerned, but we know what to expect.”

Buko also said there are contingency plans in case business slows down too much during the summer. While the students might be gone, there still will be university administrators and other employees in town. She said the cafe also will look into doing more catering and work with other local businesses.

Hospitality business junior Eric Johnson ended up at the cafe by chance when his sister had car trouble outside the cafe and called him for help. Since he was there anyway, he decided to get a smoothie.

“It’s a pretty good smoothie,” he said as he sipped the drink. “I’d come here again.”

Johnson also said he would prefer his next visit come under different circumstances.

Buko said she has been pleased with her customers and her workers so far as the business gets on its feet.

“The customers are forgiving when the product is slow, and the workers have been great,” she said.

Share and discuss “New smoothie cafe attracts thirsty students” on social media.