Monday, October 21, 2024

Maxwell suffers sprained knee, return unknown for spring practices

Junior linebacker Max Bullough aims to grab sophomore linebacker Ty Hamilton during practice Tuesday afternoon at the practice fields outside of the Duffy Daughtery Building. Samantha Radecki/The State News

Before Tuesday’s spring football practice, head coach Mark Dantonio addressed the media and revealed that during Saturday’s scrimmage, junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell sprained his knee and may or may not return for the remaining spring practices.

Dantonio said the sprain will not require surgery, but he said redshirt freshman Connor Cook will take most of the reps with the first team offense and likely play for both sides in the scheduled April 28 spring game.

“The reality of it is, if it had to happen, you’d rather have (Maxwell) do it than Connor,” he said. “Connor needs the work, he’s the (redshirt) freshman. Andrew’s been in the system for three years, and he’ll be ready to go.”

Dantonio said Maxwell may be ready to play as early as next week, but the Spartans won’t push him to come back before he is ready.

Share and discuss “Maxwell suffers sprained knee, return unknown for spring practices” on social media.