Wednesday, June 26, 2024

MSU’s insurance option viable one

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

I went online to ehealthinsurance.com and put in a search for health insurance as a single male born in 1993 and living in zip code 48823. Young Adult Blue Max cost $99.88 per month or $1,198.56 for a year. Blue Max had a 30 percent coinsurance and a $1,000 deductible. I would assume this is comparable to the MSU-mandated insurance. United Health One, Aetna and Priority Health had premiums per month starting at $36 per month, but the low-premium plans had deductibles of $10,000, which essentially means all health care would be out of pocket, barring a catastrophic illness or injury.

The MSU-mandated plan looks like a good idea for those students who are not otherwise covered by their parents’ plan under the Affordable Care Act or through an employer. By having everyone purchase insurance, students who already have insurance are not subsidizing those who show up at Olin Health Center, Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital or an urgent care center without insurance. If not everyone has insurance, health care costs are shifted to those with insurance. This, of course, is one of the arguments for the Affordable Care Act and is similar to state requirements for requiring automobile insurance.

Dr. Harry Perlstadt, MSU sociology professor

Share and discuss “MSU’s insurance option viable one” on social media.