Wednesday, July 3, 2024

U.P. shows other side of Michigan

When I moved to East Lansing as a freshman at MSU last year, I discovered everyone’s favorite icebreaker when meeting new people from Michigan: to show where you lived on the mitten. Typically, someone will hold up their palm and point at it with a huge grin saying, “Show me where you’re from!”

When this happens to me, I always laugh to myself and think how clever I am when I hold my palm above theirs and say, “I’m not on the hand,” referring to the Upper Peninsula.

To my surprise, rather than hearing a response such as, “Wow, you’re from the U.P. That’s cool,” most people will look at me either confused or surprised. The person usually is just unaware of the U.P.’s existence and thinks I’m strange, or they’ll laugh at me and make a comment such as, “Smile, I wanna see if you’ve got all your teeth,” when obviously I do.

This is the general reaction amongst most “trolls” — what Yoopers, people above the Mackinac Bridge, call people who live “under the Bridge.” Perhaps because the U.P. is very different from the rest of the state, there are many negative misconceptions surrounding it. So here is my attempt to clear the air and bring awareness to an entire half of the great state of Michigan that keeps being left out.

First of all, it’s not a wasteland; it’s a beautiful place with peace and quiet. One thing I miss most about home is being able to sit on my front porch and “listen” to the morning with a cup of coffee. You don’t hear cars or people or anything busy. Instead it’s mostly wind, water and birds. It’s incredible how much wildlife you can see when stopping to look. How often do you see a bald eagle fly over your house? My mom will swear she sees one at least once a week when she sits with her coffee.

But it’s not just about a pretty landscape. It’s being able to go back and experience this landscape with all your closest friends that makes it special. Not many people can go home for the summer from college and spend it with their best friends since preschool. In the U.P.’s small towns, the people, store fronts and views don’t necessarily change. It’s always nice going back and being welcomed by your family and old friends.

Speaking of summers, I think I should note that contrary to the popular idea of there being snow year-round, the U.P. does experience all four seasons. Though the winters might be a bit harsher than most and usually drag late into the spring, the summer and autumn months definitely make it all worth it. It’s hard to beat the days of jumping off the docks to cool off before work and having bonfires stacked high with wooden pallets bigger than your car with all your best friends at night. It might sound like one of those Pure Michigan commercials, but it’s all true — there’s no place I would rather be during the summer.

Also, we do have electricity, indoor plumbing and running water, although mine can go out from time to time because we draw from beautiful Lake Michigan and it freezes in the winter. Every typical household amenity is up and working most of the time in the U.P.

Finally, I want to make it clear that the U.P. is not a part of Canada. It’s not often fellow Michiganians even consider the U.P. as a part of the state, but in no way does that make it a part of another country. No offense to Canada, but I would like to be credited as an American citizen, thank you very much.

And by no means is it just people at MSU who have this assumption. So many tourists from all across the state will come up on their summer vacations and ask questions about customs or attempt to pay with loonies and toonies, thinking they have crossed the international bridge and landed themselves on foreign soil. Many people obviously overlook the giant banner saying, “Welcome to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula,” when they come across the Mackinac Bridge.

If after reading this you still don’t know what the heck I am talking about, please educate yourself about your state. Look past stereotypes of a vast nothingness and hungry wolves, and you might find yourself impressed with the shorelines, waterfalls, wildlife and friendly people.

Samantha Radecki is a State News staff writer and journalism sophomore. Reach her at radeckis@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “U.P. shows other side of Michigan” on social media.