Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Stride for Pride celebrates all body types

Engineering freshman Dominique Dubay, right, and psychology freshman Kelsey Loveland run through South neighborhood Friday afternoon during South Side Stride for Pride. The event brought scantily clad students out to run through campus in an effort to raise awareness about body image. Matt Hallowell/The State News

On Friday, kinesiology senior Teilia Rutherford confidently walked down the sidewalk in South Neighborhood wearing a sports bra, shorts and UGG boots and shouting inspirational messages about positive self-image. But five years ago, Rutherford would not have been able to show off her body with such confidence, especially in such a public place.

Rutherford, who suffered from anorexia from her sophomore to senior year of high school, helped plan the South Side Stride for Body Pride — a run/walk organized by resident mentors in South Neighborhood to promote positive body image. About 35 people attended and participants were encouraged to wear as little or as much clothing as they felt comfortable with, although most students sported only underwear, sports bras or short shorts.

“I know it is a controversial issue, but I feel like if you look at the people we have here, everyone is different — big, small, it doesn’t matter,” Rutherford said.

The mentors collected about $50 in donations for The Body Positive, an organization that promotes confidence and a positive self-image for women, said Austin Muir, social relations and policy junior and resident mentor in Case Hall.

James Madison College freshman Megan Havern, who participated in the event, said she felt comfortable showing her body because it was in a group setting. Havern has several friends who have eating disorders, and said participating was important to show her support for them.

“It is fun seeing the expressions of people that came by,” Havern said. “They thought we were just walking around with no clothes on.”

Runners carried slips of paper with inspiring messages, such as “You’re beautiful” and “Love your body,” which they passed out to bystanders.

Nutritionist for Olin Health Center Ronda Bokram works one-on-one with students to provide nutritional advising, and said it is important for students to have a positive body image, especially because eating disorders are present on campus.

In the MSU Student Health Assessment from spring 2010, 67.5 percent of students were at an acceptable or not overweight state, but 50.9 percent of students surveyed were trying to lose weight.

“I support any movement or activism that supports and promotes positive body image, health at every size and internal validation of self, not external,” Bokram said.

Bokram said MSU has a variety of resources for students suffering from eating disorders, including medical providers, a nutritionist, groups at the Counseling Center and psychiatric services at Olin Health Center.

Rutherford said she hopes students who saw the run and are suffering from eating disorders will be inspired to love their body and seek help if they need it.

“It is dear to my heart because I want anyone who might be having body issues like I had … to know that they’re not alone,” she said.

“Everybody is beautiful the way that they are, and you don’t have to be a twig to be beautiful.”

Share and discuss “Stride for Pride celebrates all body types” on social media.