Saturday, September 28, 2024

Spartans still need improvement before Big Ten season

Matching its longest win streak since the 2008-2009 season, the No. 19 MSU men’s basketball team eked out a 90-81 win against Lehigh for its eleventh straight.

However, as the Spartans (11-2) closed out their nonconference season against the little team from Bethlehem, Penn., they still have much to improve on before taking on No. 17 Indiana next Wednesday.

“This was an ugly win, and we were just fortunate enough to get through it,” sophomore guard
Keith Appling said. “This is not the type of team that we are, we don’t want to just get by, and that’s not going to work in the Big Ten.”

Despite an impressive showing throughout non-conference play, the Spartans will need to ratchet up the intensity as they prepare for the gauntlet that is the Big Ten conference schedule.

Day-Day Delay
One of the things head coach Tom Izzo has praised his team for early in the season is its unselfishness, and senior forward Draymond Green quietly demonstrated that sentiment Thursday night.

After missing his alarm, Green showed up to practice a few minutes late, violating a rule he helped set at the beginning of the season along with Izzo and senior guard Austin Thornton. In accordance with the rule, Green elected to take himself out of the starting lineup against the Mountain Hawks, and Izzo said Green took full responsibility for the mistake.

“The only problem with (rules like that) is, even though kids always deserve a second chance, that’s just the way it is,” Izzo said. “And yet, (freshman guards Branden) Dawson and (Travis) Trice and (Brandan) Kearney better be thinking that if I’m sitting Draymond Green, I’m sure as hell going to sit them.”

Green said setting an example for the younger reason was one of the reasons he allowed himself to sit for the first part of the game.

“I’ve never been late for anything since I’ve been here, so I could’ve played that card, but it’s not fair for Tom, and it’s not fair for me,” Green said. “I’ve played here for four years, but two minutes late is two minutes late, and I’ll take the consequence for it.”

Don’t let me get in my Izzone
Izzo said one of the key factors in the team’s 11-game run since opening the seasons with a pair of losses, has been the support of the fans.

Despite the holiday break, 14,797 fans showed up for the game and the atmosphere at Breslin Center was electric and as loud as its been all season. After big plays, the crowd erupted in cheers and during several controversial calls, a chorus of ‘boos’ rained down on the referees from all corners of the arena.

Izzo said the crowd environment “made an impact” during the game, and the noise even prompted Izzo to challenge the infamous student section which bears his name.

“I thought out fans were awesome,” he said. “When you come on a holiday, and the students are gone, and the place is packed, (it helps).

“That is one of the things we have to get back I think. It’s more the students than others, but I want to thank the community, they really did a great job for us tonight.”

Share and discuss “Spartans still need improvement before Big Ten season” on social media.