Sunday, May 5, 2024

Comedians playing multiple roles in movies only produces cheap laughs

<p>Nagy</p>

Nagy

Every once in a while there’s a movie that comes along that just gets under my skin. But it is only a blip on my movie radar. Soon it disappears into oblivion and all is happy and wonderful in the world of film again.

But with Adam Sandler’s latest film, “Jack and Jill,” which premiered Friday, I realized there is a pattern in the films I really despise. There is a reoccurring nightmare in the movie world — comedians who play multiple characters in their own movies.

In “Jack and Jill,” which is the “heartwarming” story of Jack and his twin sister Jill, whom he dislikes, Sandler plays both Jack and Jill. He proves just how much of a versatile actor he is, donning a wig and an obviously fake female accent. Somebody should hand him the Oscar right now.

Now, I have not seen the film, so I am in no place to comment on its quality. But from what I have seen in the trailer, let’s face it — I highly doubt this is cinematic gold or silver or even bronze. Which, of course, begs the question, “Why?”

The reason is simple — instead of relying on a developed plot, complex characters or witty screenwriting, movies such as “Jack and Jill” rely on dressing a comedian in wacky costumes to get a cheap laugh. It is the same old joke replayed with each scene, expecting a new laugh every time. Well, Sandler dressing up as a woman wasn’t funny in the trailer, so I doubt it will be funny if I ever see the film. And by if, I mean never.

Movies such as “Jack and Jill” are made only to make money. They don’t challenge or entertain an audience in a new way. They are cheap, soulless films and are a waste of the screens they are projected on.

Remember the cringe-worthy “Norbit,” where Eddie Murphy played multiple roles or all those Tyler Perry movies where Perry played Madea? Yeah, I wish I didn’t remember them.

Those films are the perfect example of the comedian-on-autopilot syndrome. Dress them up and they’ll get a laugh and make a boatload for the studio. “Norbit” played on the cross-dressing comedian cliché and reworded the same crude fat jokes. The Madea movies essentially do the same thing by dressing Perry as a larger woman. Cross-dressing and fat jokes — the same old same old yet again.

It is not just the comedians on autopilot — it is the audience as well. We as viewers have become too complacent, accepting films such as “Jack and Jill” as movies worthy of our time and money. We see Sandler in the main roles and automatically assume that he’ll make us laugh because that’s what comedians do. He’s a comedian, so he’s funny, thus the films he stars in will be funny as well. But that’s a dangerous assumption. More often than not, movies such as these are not funny — or not funny enough. They don’t refresh the material, they simply recycle it.

As the audience, it is our money that dictates the movies made, so it is our responsibility to demand something better.

I want good comedies. Witty, well-written, well-developed comedies that actually capture an audience’s attention and don’t become just a blip on the radar. Those are the kinds of films that will make tons of well-deserved money. Studios just need to take the risk, and audiences need to take a stand and chose quality.

Share and discuss “Comedians playing multiple roles in movies only produces cheap laughs ” on social media.