Monday, July 1, 2024

MLK monument sets right tone

Traveling via bus to Washington, D.C., for the dedication of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. monument with some of the Greater Lansing Area Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commissioners and others, I began reflecting on my memories of Dr. King. Growing up in South Carolina and attending undergraduate college at Tuskegee University in Alabama from 1962 to 1966, the memories are vivid.

Several of us, as students, joined the end of the Selma to Montgomery march in 1965 where Dr. King, as he usually did, ended the march with a rousing speech laying out the issues of the time at the Capitol building in Montgomery, Ala. With the Confederate flag flying in the background, I can remember his closing refrain of, “How Long-Not Long,” for he always ended his speeches with hope. As college students, we had a deep sense of optimism and hope.

Even though we were in the Jim Crow era, we felt that the nation was heading toward greater freedom. Dr. King would often say that “We are on the move now,” and indeed we were.

As Dr. King continued to lead the movement, he did not work for honor or recognition. He made it clear in his “Drum Major Instinct” speech that if anyone was to say anything after he died about what he was about, they should say that he was “A drum major for justice … a drum major for peace … a drum major for righteousness.” While Dr. King has achieved greatness, he often said that “Anyone can be great because anyone can serve.”

Such honors are not bestowed on the living, but if he were still alive, he would have been embarrassed by all the attention of that day, but yet understand that this honor is consistent with his spiritual tradition. For that tradition says that one is “To let others praise you and not your own lips.” The tradition also says “One should give honor to whom honor is due.” That is indeed what happened on Oct. 16.

The monument, although honoring Dr. King, is not for Dr. King but for the nation and for the world, as most of the speakers at the event stated. In the words of a 91-year-old woman who was viewing the monument, whom I asked how she was feeling about this event, she simply said, “This is great, it will help us to remember.”

Despite the criticisms of the monument, it is a most appropriate honor for Dr. King, and I believe there are several meanings inherent in the monument for MSU, the Greater Lansing community, this nation and the world. The monument is:

• Visible evidence that one can become great by serving.

• Visible evidence that God raises up individuals to serve humanity in a time of deep crisis.

• A reminder that, as Dr. King often said, we must continue to fight against and seek to eradicate the great triplets of evil — racism, poverty and militarism.

• A visible symbol that persons of color stand tall in the annals of our history.

• A reminder to us, as was said at the dedication, that Dr. King lived and challenged us to live not for the “Isness of this world but rather for the oughtness.”

• A reminder, especially to our students, that every generation has its set of challenges, and that there is always a need for individuals to answer the call in their time to be drum majors for justice, peace and righteousness.

Thank God for Dr. King.

The nation and the world are better places because he came our way and answered his call in his time to be “A drum major for justice … a drum major for peace … a drum major for righteousness.” Thanks also to the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity for spearheading the movement to establish the monument.

The trip was worth it, and all in our bus agreed as we shared our experiences and feelings traveling back to East Lansing. Being in the crowd, experiencing the jubilation, seeing the monument was awe-inspiring, and for many deeply emotional.

As we view the Dr. King monument in the days and years ahead, let us remember this drum major’s unselfish leadership, dedication, courage and faith. Then, let us say, “I, too, can be a drum major and servant even if the result is not a memorial on the national mall in the nation’s Capitol.”

For indeed, “Out of a mountain of despair, there is a stone of hope.”

Lee N. June is a State News guest columnist and professor in the Department of Psychology. Reach him at leejune@vps.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “MLK monument sets right tone ” on social media.