Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Police preparing for first MSU football game

As roughly 75,000 green-and-white-clad fans prepare to descend upon Spartan Stadium for the first football game of the 2011 season, local authorities prepare for the increased amounts of traffic, drinking and parties on and around campus.

Officers from the MSU, East Lansing and Meridian Township police departments as well as the Ingham County Sheriff’s Department will be on campus to assist in traffic enforcement and regulating fans going to and from the game, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

Although it is a night game, McGlothian-Taylor said the lack of visibility should not be too much of a problem because of the supplemental lighting the university will be making use of, but she did stress the importance of students and fans staying together, especially when walking across campus.

“(Fans) should always use the buddy system to stay together,” she said. “But it will look like it’s daylight out.”

East Lansing police Capt. Kim Johnson said the East Lansing Police Department will have extra officers regulating traffic for cars moving on and off campus. They will have more patrolling officers around downtown and the student-occupied rental housing neighborhoods, but their approach will not be different from other football weekends.

Johnson said he does not expect there to be as much traffic for Friday’s game against Youngstown State University as rivalry games such as the University of Michigan or Notre Dame University because few visiting fans will be in East Lansing.

East Lansing police Capt. Bill Mitchell said even for the Notre Dame and Michigan games, the department’s patrol strategies do not vary substantially.

Education senior Allison Flanagan said students who do choose to partake in underage drinking should be cautious because in her experience at higher profile games — night games especially — more officers usually are on duty.

Flanagan said the increased police presence makes her feel safe during night games because they have the potential to get out of hand because people have more time to drink before the game.

“You have to be careful because if you’re going to go obliterated and underage, you’re going to get in trouble,” she said. “But I’d definitely say for safety reasons, it seems like when it’s a night game, things get out of control. People come from out of town, so it makes you feel a little safer (having more police).”

Friday’s game will be the first game to implement the no bag or purse policy, McGlothian-Taylor said. In the past there have been restriction on how large bags can be, but this is the first season where no bags are allowed whatsoever.

This policy was in place for the U2 concert in June, and McGlothian-Taylor said it went down without any problems, but the atmosphere for the concert was much different than most football games. Volunteers will be enforcing this new policy at the entrance gates, and CATA bus drivers will remind passengers riding to the game that they cannot enter with their purse or bag so as to limit the amount of inconvenience.

Share and discuss “Police preparing for first MSU football game” on social media.