Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Officers at home remember 9/11

Sept. 11, 2001 — East Lansing Fire Marshall Bob Pratt was attending a fire inspectors conference at the Kellogg Center with firefighters from throughout the state. During a break, someone informed the congregation that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center’s North Tower.

Pratt and the other firefighters huddled around a TV, unsure of the nature of the crash. But as the second plane hit the South Tower, instinct kicked in.

“We all left what we were doing and went back to our communities to take care of what needed to be taken care of,” Pratt said. “For a while, we were all in emergency mode like when an alarm goes off, thinking about what steps we need to take in case there is an attack in our community.”

For first responders such as Pratt, there was no time to stop and look at the global implications of the Sept. 11 attacks that day, but as the 10th anniversary of the attacks approaches, many departments are taking the time to reflect on the impact of the attacks and what changes they brought about.

Pratt said technological advancements have made communicating between departments more efficient since Sept. 11, which is important for major emergencies that require multiple departments to respond.

But, despite the improved technology and planning capabilities, declining public safety budgets across the state have caused cutbacks for many police and fire departments.

“We probably have less police and firefighters across the state since Sept. 11, unfortunately,” Pratt said. “We’re more aware, I think. With the intelligence that we share, we are more prepared, but sometimes it comes down to the number of boots on the ground.”

One of the bigger changes in law enforcement at the state and local level since 9/11 is the shift from reactive to proactive action in terms of dealing with large-scale emergency situations.

The MSU Police Department has made emergency management and response a priority during the past decade, Inspector Penny Fischer said.

Fischer took over the Emergency Management Unit a little more than a week ago but has worked with the unit for numerous years. She said security at large events, such as football games and concerts, always has been a priority, but the department has shifted more of its focus to the outside of the stadium, making sure nothing dangerous or illegal makes it in.

“Our university is very proactive in trying to seek solutions to problems before they happen, which is not always the case in many other organizations,” Fischer said. “We’re really blessed.”

The East Lansing Fire Department, as well as the East Lansing and MSU police departments, will join departments from across the state at the Capitol this Sunday.

The Michigan State Police will host a candlelight vigil to memorialize the thousands of firefighters, police officers and paramedics who died Sept. 11, said Nicole Lisabeth, a Michigan State Police public information officer.

Lisabeth said although the 10th anniversary is primarily a chance to remember the people who lost their lives during the attack, it also is a chance to reflect on all the ways first responders have changed the way they handle emergency situations.

“Since 9/11, the way our nation and Michigan views homeland security has changed,” she said. “We take an all-hazards approach. We have all our plans in place so that we can respond to any emergency whether it be a natural disaster or a terrorist attack.”

Share and discuss “Officers at home remember 9/11” on social media.