Monday, October 21, 2024

Spartans win season opener despite displeasure in performance

<p>Junior running back Edwin Baker tries to shake Penguins safety Jeremy Edwards as he nears the endzone. The Spartans defeated Youngstown State, 28-6, Friday night at Spartan Stadium. Josh Radtke/The State News</p>

Junior running back Edwin Baker tries to shake Penguins safety Jeremy Edwards as he nears the endzone. The Spartans defeated Youngstown State, 28-6, Friday night at Spartan Stadium. Josh Radtke/The State News

The No. 17 MSU football team is disappointed with how they played in their season opener.

“We have the ability to play much better than that,” MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said.

Although the Spartans (1-0) beat Youngstown State (0-1), 28-6, and allowed just one touchdown, it was evident there was a lot of rust the team needed to shake off, especially in the first half.

“I thought at times we did some things pretty well,” MSU offensive coordinator Dan Roushar said. “But (we) certainly made a lot of mistakes.”

The defense took the field first and perhaps caught off guard by the hurry-up offense the Penguins opened up with, the Spartans allowed their opponents to drive down the field.

Luckily for MSU, sophomore linebacker Max Bullough brought his “A” game. Former Spartan linebacker Greg Jones’ replacement came up with six tackles on the opening drive, none bigger than his 4th-and-1 stop that crushed the Penguins early momentum.

Bullough was a bright spot in a Spartans defense that was otherwise sub-par. In his first game as a starter, Bullough matched Jones’ career-high 15 tackles.

“I’m glad I was able to go in and set the stage for myself,” Bullough said. “It just sets myself a higher bar week to week.”

When the offense took the field, it struggled early as well. MSU started off with a quick three-and-out before senior quarterback Kirk Cousins got things going on the second drive.

However, it took until the first drive of the second quarter for MSU to break through and score a touchdown. After a pair of passes from Cousins to senior wide receiver B.J. Cunningham, who had a career-high and record-setting night, junior running back Larry Caper found the endzone for the Spartan’s first touchdown of the season.

The score was 7-0, but the Penguins quickly responded. After holding Youngstown State to a three-and-out, senior wide receiver Keyshawn Martin fumbled a punt and gave the ball right back to the Penguins.

The mistake proved costly, as quarterback Kurt Hess marched his team down the field for a touchdown of their own. However, they missed the extra point, leaving the score at 7-6, in favor of MSU.

Dantonio said more than anything, he was disappointed in how his special team units performed.

“Since we’ve been here, one of the things that we sort of pride ourselves on is playing very well on special teams,” he said. “We dropped a punt … we missed a field goal. I don’t think anyone made big plays on special teams (tonight).”

MSU responded the very next drive when Cousins found his main target Cunningham 55 yards down the field. Sophomore running back Le’Veon Bell proceeded to take the ball across the goal line later in the drive.

Although Youngstown State had run 22 more plays and held the ball nine minutes longer than MSU, the Spartans found themselves on top 14-6 at half.

It was in the second half that Dantonio and his team thought they picked things up. The Spartans scored first on an 18-yard pass from Cousins to Cunningham.

Prior to the game, Cunningham was 10 catches away from being in sole possession of the Spartan career receptions record. He finished with nine, tying him for first with Matt Trannon at 148 catches.

In the process he also set a career-high with 130 yards.

Cunningham said it was an honor to be a part of such an excellent history of Spartan wide receivers.

“It’s a blessing to (have my name mentioned) in that group and just to be out there doing what I do catching the football,” he said. “I give all the credit to the (offensive) line, my teammates and Kirk (Cousins).”

Following the game, Dantonio reiterated the phrase “They all count one,” a line former MSU head coach George Perles used to say, indicating that a win is a win no matter what.

That doesn’t mean the head coach doesn’t think there will be plenty of film to look at before Florida Atlantic comes to town next weekend.

“Everybody’s got to take a look at themselves and get ready to play the next one,” Dantonio said. “I think it can certainly motivate us to ask the question, ‘Who are we? Who are we as a football team.?’ Hopefully that wasn’t us out there, but we did win.”

Share and discuss “Spartans win season opener despite displeasure in performance” on social media.