Wednesday, September 25, 2024

International students react to break-ins

When advertising sophomore Xiang Gao returned to his room the evening of Sept. 18, he found his door was open and his laptop and iPod were missing.

After filing a report with the East Lansing Police Department, Gao did some investigating of his own and found he was not the only international student in the Landings at Chandler Crossings to fall victim to burglary in the past month.

“It’s time to let (international students know) they should be careful about themselves,” he said. “I’ve found just Chinese students who’ve gotten things stolen. I don’t know why.”

East Lansing police Capt. Kim Johnson said several home invasions have been reported in the past two months at the Landings complex. Investigators have a few leads but they are several weeks away from making headway, Johnson said.

Johnson said investigators generally do not take race into consideration for these types of crimes, but the detective investigating will be reevaluating the reports to see if there is a racial pattern.
Microbiology senior Demetrious Parker, a domestic student who lives in the Landings, said he has noticed a substantial amount of international students around the complex.

Parker said he feels as through international students might fall victim to these crimes because they are unfamiliar with how things are in the U.S.

“A lot of students up here feel that (the international students) are wealthier than them and are more naive to how things are over here,” he said.

Gao said he requested to be in a location closer to the main office and in an apartment on the second or third floor, and was disappointed to find that he received neither of those requests. He said that might be one of the reasons he fell victim to the break-in.

Regional manager for the Chandler Crossings communities Larry Viles said in an email housing selection is done purely on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Viles also said the complex sends out weekly newsletters with tips for its 2,500 student residents with information on apartment life, and they work closely with the MSU Office for International Students and Scholars to accommodate international students.

But Gao said he is concerned with how the complex has reacted to the recent break-ins and how they deal with residents.

“I don’t expect them to pay for our loss, that’s understandable,” he said.
“But I think they need to do more to protect the people. Not just international students, but all people who live out here.”

Viles said the complex sent out a list of suggestions for students to help prevent burglaries, and they have on-staff security to monitor the complex at night.

“We are very proud of our safety record at Chandler Crossings. Every year we house more than 2,500 students, most from Michigan State,” Viles said in the email. “Our managers work very hard to provide a safe, secure environment for our residents.”

Share and discuss “International students react to break-ins” on social media.