Monday, July 1, 2024

The benefits of competition

When I was walking back to campus from St. John’s Student Center last weekend, I noticed an interesting juxtaposition on the corner of M.A.C. and Grand River avenues.

On one side of the street: Potbelly Sandwich Shop. On the other: Così — likewise famous for its sandwiches and melts.

I thought, “Why would two sandwich joints set up shop right across from one another?” One would expect they’d rather corner the market and avoid competition, but clearly this is not the case.

It got me thinking about how fast food restaurants tend to cluster together, how gas stations stake out the same territory and how the two major public universities in the state of Michigan are about an hour’s drive apart.

The answer seems to lie in the benefits of competition.

Both the University of Michigan and Michigan State University sell the same product: a first-class college education and all the perks that come with it — such as top athletic programs, rich local cultures and a variety of academic specialties.

It makes sense that the two will compete in all of these areas and more. But what’s the point?

Why single out one school as a rival? Why not see ourselves as MSU vs. The World?

By channeling our collective competitive spirit into a rivalry against the Wolverines, the student body gains a point of focus and motivation. Nowhere are the benefits of this better illustrated than on the athletic field.

The Michigan/Michigan State football game occupies the fall calendar with a figurative blood red X. Few matches are so heavily anticipated, and school spirit reaches a fever pitch in the week leading up to the annual clash.

It’s a day that no doubt motivates our athletes, not only in football but in all MSU sports, to train harder and prepare to do their alma mater proud. If the attitude leaned more toward Spartans vs. The World — if there existed no focal point for the season — gathering this aggressive momentum would undoubtedly be much more difficult.

True fans, those who live or die by the final score, inject a vital energy into this rivalry. But even the less zealous can be seen sporting green and white, and these legions of students, alumni and State supporters contribute to the spirited relationship.

While students tend toward the fanatic, faculty tend to take a more tongue-in-cheek approach.

In numerous lectures, I’ve witnessed professors say things like, “I did my undergrad at that other school,” and, “I worked for eight years at Michigan’s second-best university.” Their adopted tone is never very grave; rather, these lines are almost obligatory, concessive, just part of the job description.

Truth is, many of MSU’s faculty — and other alumni around the world — have spent time at both institutions, and none have been struck dead by the wrath of some broken blood oath. In fact, this very summer I’m working on a research project that involves frequent conference calls to Ann Arbor. The two schools overlap in more ways than meets the eye.

Collaboration lies on the flip side of competition, and that’s what makes this rivalry so successful.

The fierce drive to one-up the opponent pushes athletes, students, recruiters, researchers and just about everyone else to raise the bar in their respective fields. No one can deny that great strides have been achieved thanks to our desire for victory over the Wolverines.

And since we’ve kept friends close and those enemies closer, MSU has developed productive ties with U-M that have led to success on both sides.

That, I imagine, is the difference between us and the sandwich joints on Grand River. They may gain better quality and more business through competition, but one doubts they swap recipes for chicken salad.

Here on the banks of the Red Cedar, we get not only the thrill and spoils of war, but also the advantage of having a neighbor whose standard of excellence matches our own.

Or, at least, comes in a close second.

Craig Pearson is a State News guest columnist. Reach him at pears153@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “The benefits of competition” on social media.