Monday, July 1, 2024

MSU’s research-rich legacy

<p>Pearson</p>

Pearson

The word “research” appears four times in MSU’s official mission statement. That’s twice as much as any other word, discounting common conjunctions, articles and prepositions. That’s significant.

In a major bullet point, the statement stresses the university’s efforts to advance knowledge by “conducting research of the highest caliber.” It’s ranked right alongside the more obvious mission of providing education.

Why so much emphasis?

Research, it turns out, is one of MSU’s most fundamental claims to fame. Founded in 1855, MSU boasts some impressive credentials in 19th century innovation that laid the groundwork for its current prominence. It has deep agricultural roots: The university established the first American laboratory dedicated to the study of botany, and one of its early research programs, guided by Robert C. Kedzie, kickstarted the Michigan sugar beet industry and encouraged planting trees along highways. Even in the 1800s, Spartans were going green.

Fast-forward to today, and MSU researchers are working with alternative fuels and developing sodium-free “salt” products. These contributions bolster the university’s reputation and add luster to a name that already stands out as a leader in the global community.

Although environmental studies make up only part of the diverse spectrum of research at the university, every niche brings the green (and white) in the form of cash. In the past decade, MSU research projects have been awarded upwards of $200 million each year from external sponsors. The numbers show a steady upswing, and graphs with a positive slope tend to spell good news for the university.

It’s good news for students too. In a climate where graduate school increasingly has become necessary in many fields, Spartan undergraduates gain a distinct advantage from having so many research opportunities at their fingertips. At a university that expects its faculty to be actively engaged in research and creative pursuits, projects often are advertised as only an email away.

MSU offers numerous open workshops for helping students get involved with research on campus, in addition to programs such as the Professorial Assistantship, which offers the top 1 percent of incoming freshmen the chance to work alongside professors in their first two years.

MSU hosts conferences and research forums that let students present their studies to a wider audience, and it encourages them to seek publication both in university-published journals and outside periodicals. The school employs an entire staff solely dedicated to the management and organization of on-campus research. There even are faculty members who conduct research about research.

At the end of the day, it’s more than a reputation booster or a moneymaker. With its long history and deeply ingrained traditions, MSU’s research has become part of the Spartan spirit. The abundance of academic concentrations represented allows researchers to work together.

Interdepartmental collaboration has become a cornerstone. Whether it’s down the hall or across the river, specialized colleagues have become so accessible that their presence might be taken for granted.

During the Renaissance, polymaths such as Leonardo da Vinci became masters of as many branches of science and art as they could muster. The centuries since have sifted intellectuals into narrow niches, but the future lies in convergence. Institutions such as MSU pioneer the interdisciplinary education, in which specialists join forces to understand the world in a way da Vinci never could have managed on his own (although he did all right).

In the process, these researchers have created a sense of community and fellowship here on the banks of the Red Cedar.

That’s why research matters.

Yes, it carries on a tradition started way back with beets and botany labs.

True, it polishes the reputation of that big green Spartan “S,” which attracts more talented students and faculty to East Lansing.

Indeed, it brings in money and resources that allow for greater expansion of the groundbreaking work that happens every day.

But most importantly, research helps both those involved and those affected. It brings people together and stretches the bounds of human knowledge little by little. And that’s as good a reason as any to say, “Go Green!”

Craig Pearson is a State News guest columnist. Reach him at pears153@msu.edu

Share and discuss “MSU’s research-rich legacy” on social media.