Monday, October 7, 2024

E.L. summer concerts set to begin

<p>Keaton Akins of the Evidence jazz group plays a trumpet solo Saturday evening at the Summer Solstice Jazz Festival in downtown East Lansing. Akins and his band from Grand Rapids, Mich. performed in between the main acts all day Saturday. Sam Mikalonis/The State News</p>

Keaton Akins of the Evidence jazz group plays a trumpet solo Saturday evening at the Summer Solstice Jazz Festival in downtown East Lansing. Akins and his band from Grand Rapids, Mich. performed in between the main acts all day Saturday. Sam Mikalonis/The State News

June 10 marks the start of the Summer Concert Series — free music events on Friday and Saturday nights in downtown East Lansing.

The concerts will be held at Fountain Square, on the corner of M.A.C. Avenue and Albert Avenue in front of the Marriott at University Place and will run until August 6.

Michelle Carlson, events assistant, said the summer concert series has been going on for more than 10 years and turn out up to 500 people at any one event.

The events start at 7 p.m., and attendees should bring their own chairs, she said. The artists and dates are listed on the city website, and the city tries to bring in local artists to perform. The genres will be anything from blues to folk to rock and roll.

“It’s a good, family-friendly opportunity, and it’s free. So you’re not really out any money if you don’t care for them,” Carlson said.

She said people can park in metered spots or any city lot downtown. The events will be canceled if it rains.

Jen Sygit, an MSU alumna and Lansing resident, will be performing with Sam Corbin on the opening night of the concert series.

Sygit said she has performed in the series for several years and feels honored and lucky to be part of the roster each year.

“I just think it’s pretty awesome that the city of East Lansing provides that form of entertainment to the public for free,” she said.

They perform original music as well as cover songs and old jazz tunes, she said. She sings and plays instruments including the guitar and banjo.

Tim Beemer, the co-owner and general manager of Cold Stone Creamery, 200 M.A.C. Ave., said while Fridays and Saturdays are usually the busiest nights of the week anyway, the summer concerts help contribute to that.

“We definitely see a bump in business,” he said. “Not as much before the concert or during, but when they are ending.”

With the economy struggling, anything that helps businesses is positive, he said. Beemer also said that with a lot of students gone in the summer, the events are a good opportunity to attract people downtown and help them realize there is more than just bars.

Singer Claudia Schmidt, from Traverse City, Mich., said she will be performing at the outdoor concert series for the first time July 8.

She said she will be performing as a soloist, singing and playing a 12-string guitar and a mountain dulcimer. Her music draws from folk, jazz and blues, and her material is all original.

“It’s song, poetry and story and very engaging with the audience,” Schmidt said. “I really love outdoor performing.”

The crowd can expect a lot of energy and group singing, she said, and they can also expect to laugh, and maybe cry, but to have a good time overall. Regardless of how the crowd reacts, Schmidt said her main hope is that the weather is good.

Veterinary technology senior Melissa Seese said she has lived in East Lansing since her second summer in college. She said the events are important to bring people into the area and use the businesses, and the grouping of people also creates a stronger sense of community.

“I think it’s important to have different events that people can go to,” she said. “It keeps you busy.”

Share and discuss “E.L. summer concerts set to begin” on social media.