Monday, October 21, 2024

Football homecoming game to be played in primetime

Looking to avenge the BCS snub of a season ago, the defending co-Big Ten champion MSU football team will host Wisconsin for its Homecoming game (8 p.m., ABC, ESPN or ESPN2) Oct. 22 at Spartan Stadium.

The last four games in the series have been decided by a combined total of 22 points, with each team winning its two home games. MSU will host Wisconsin for the second consecutive year, with last year’s game resulting in a 34-24 win against then No. 11 Wisconsin.

“There’s truly something special about playing a game under the lights in Spartan Stadium,” senior quarterback Kirk Cousins said in a statement. “The Spartan fan base always brings great energy and noise, creating a truly electric atmosphere.”

The Spartans lead the all-time series against Wisconsin, 28-21, including a 15-7 record in games played in East Lansing. MSU has won its last three home games against the Badgers — 49-14 in 2004; 25-24 in 2008; and 34-24 in 2010.

The game marks the second time in the past five years that MSU’s Homecoming game has been played under the lights, the previous matchup being a 52-27 victory over Indiana in 2007.

Share and discuss “Football homecoming game to be played in primetime” on social media.