Monday, October 21, 2024

Sadler looks to replace Bates; Worthy injured for three practices

He might not have Aaron Bates’ all-around ability, but freshman punter Mike Sadler is hoping to prove his value as the Spartans’ new punter.

The Spartans will be hard-pressed to replace the departed senior Bates, who was a First-Team All-Big Ten selection last season and a key to several victories with his punting and passing ability, but Sadler is taking what he learned from last season and doing his part this spring.

“I like where I’m at right now,” Sadler said earlier in the spring.

“Aaron Bates is probably the next MSU legend. He’s a great guy. … He’s done so much for the program as a punter and as a leader, and I’ve got big shoes to fill, but I’m ready to do it.”

Sadler was a highly recruited player out of Grand Rapids’ Forest Hills Northern High School and sat out last season to learn from Bates. Sadler was ranked as the No. 3 punter by scout.com coming out of high school and averaged 38.9 yards per punt on 32 punts in his senior year of high school. He now is competing with senior Kyle Selden for the starting punting job.

Bates, a captain last season, was known for his athleticism and passing ability as well as his actual punting, where he was ranked first in the Big Ten with his 45-yard average. Replacing him comes with a lot of pressure, but Sadler made the most of his time with Bates to learn the job, he said.
“I’ve learned a lot from him. I still talk to him everyday,” Sadler said.

“We talk about small punting things — Small tips. … Punting is a technical art. The smallest details make a huge difference.”

With junior kicker Dan Conroy returning to solidify the kicking position and players such as senior wide receiver Keshawn Martin leading the return game, the Spartans look to have solid all-around special teams if Sadler can continue Bates’ success.

“We recruited him as one of the top punters in the country,” Dantonio said.

“I thought he showed a tremendous amount of maturity by coming here and sitting out a year and watching Aaron Bates grow. He’ll do an outstanding job.”

Worthy injured
The Spartans received more bad injury news when head coach Mark Dantonio announced Tuesday junior defensive lineman Jerel Worthy would miss about three practices with a sprained ankle.

Worthy, who had 40 tackles and eight tackles-for-loss last season, looks to anchor an improved defensive line, but he’ll join senior defensive lineman Kevin Pickelman as players who will be limited in action for the spring.

That will allow for players such as sophomore Micajah Reynolds and junior Anthony Rashad White to receive more time.

Defensive ends
Worthy’s injury will not take away from the promise that the defensive line offers this season.

In Saturday’s “controlled” scrimmage between the defense and the offense, junior Tyler Hoover and sophomore Will Gholston combined for nine tackles and three for loss and will help lead what looks like the Spartans’ strongest defensive position next fall.

“The biggest thing was just finishing every play and I’m definitely stronger and can get off the blocks and pursue a little faster,” Hoover said.

Share and discuss “Sadler looks to replace Bates; Worthy injured for three practices” on social media.