Saturday, June 29, 2024

Don’t dilute Irish culture with booze

Alanna Thiede

Green vomit isn’t something of which Irish people necessarily are proud. For some reason, a decent amount of MSU students seem to think that’s what celebrating St. Patrick’s Day is about.

As a former Irish step dancer of half-Irish descent, the insane drunkenness of St. Patrick’s day at MSU, is mildly offensive. I also have traveled to the Emerald Isle and drank Guinness fresh out of the factory overlooking the Dublin skyline. I’m proud of my ancestry.

I just can’t help but cringe every time I see a hokey “Kiss me, I’m Irish” shirt or some “Ireland beer = happiness” joke. On St. Patrick’s Day, I often find myself defensive against many who choose to celebrate excessively.

Maybe it’s because I’m often teased on the day because of my strawberry blond hair or being demanded to “Riverdance” because I actually did so for six years. But something about the flagrantly discriminatory tone toward Irish culture near St. Patrick’s really sours me Lucky Charms.

I’m not going to pretend to be a St. Patty’s historian, but I do know he wasn’t known for doing keg stands.

According to history.com, Lenten prohibitions traditionally were waived on St. Patrick’s Day, so the mostly Catholic lads and lasses would celebrate in feast and festivities.

St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, died on March 17 around 460 AD. The first St. Patrick’s day celebration actually was held in the U.S. to honor Irish soldiers serving in the English military, according to history.com.

Since then, it’s evolved to be one of the biggest drinking holidays in the U.S. and in many places across the world. Interesting how a cultural and religious holiday involving beer catches on so quickly.

That’s not to say all those who celebrate do so in the green beer, drunk-all-day-fashion. I love seeing the restaurants and bars that serve traditional Irish food and invite step dancers to entertain.

One of my favorite dishes in the world is colcannon, a truly Irish mixture of cabbage and potatoes, made best by my mother.

Like any other holiday, St. Patrick’s Day is consumed by incessant commercialism much like St. Valentine’s Day. Apparently the “St.” part has been dropped as of late. But in many ways it’s different.

But the folly of the celebration has gone beyond money-grabbing businesses. The holiday has become racist.

Since when is it OK to define all Irish people as drunk, green-loving, Leprechauns. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a celebration of the life of an influential leader during black people’s struggle for civil rights in America. At its core, it is a cultural celebration.

St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration of Irish culture — in theory.

The liberal use of the phrase “Irish for a day” or “Kiss me, I’m Irish” by those who clearly are not, could be likened to claiming to be black for a day on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Yes, that’s a very imperfect analogy, but I think you get my drift.

Why is it OK to dilute Irish culture and tradition with copious amounts of alcohol?

It seems expected at MSU for college students of all backgrounds to be drunk the entirety of St. Patrick’s Day. I understand that any chance to drink will be taken advantage of, but I hope for some semblance of respect for the holiday’s history.

I know there always will be people who think St. Patrick was the first brewmaster. The holiday should not be an excuse to get trashed.

History needs to be at least acknowledged on the day, maybe even just by reading this. If you want a reason to get drunk, take a couple shots in honor of the basketball team. That makes sense. Kind of.

Every one isn’t Irish for a day, that’s not how it works.

Embracing another culture can be meaningful and fun without crossing in to disrespect. Drink a Guinness and have fun, but it doesn’t make you Irish.

Alanna Thiede is the State News Opinion Writer. Reach her at thiedea1@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Don’t dilute Irish culture with booze” on social media.