Saturday, September 21, 2024

Converted fraternity has positive implications

Students might not search for the words “converted frat house” when looking for an apartment, but the former Lambda Chi Alpha house appears to be a promising option for student living next fall.

Not only is it currently being remodeled and in a convenient location for students, it also will be priced well and maintain its current historical facade and character.

The apartments, with prices ranging from $635 to $685 per tenant, are reasonably affordable considering the location just off Grand River Avenue at 128 Collingwood Drive and newly remodeled interiors. Compared to many other downtown options, they are well within the range of rent that appeals to students.

Lambda Chi Alpha faced a set of unfortunate circumstances, and it is sad it had to let the property go. Developer Dale Inman bought the property from Lambda Chi Alpha Properties Inc., the fraternity’s national housing corporation, in 2010.

The local chapter fought the national corporation to no avail to maintain possession of the house but city officials had to honor the corporation’s contract with the developer.

Although there were some sympathetic feelings expressed toward the local fraternity, students still were put out of a home. The best option from here is to make sure it still is available to students through the type of housing provided and the cost.

The former fraternity house could have suffered a much worse fate after the sudden and controversial departure of its tenants.

A similar property located on Bogue Street (former home of MSU’s Delta Kappa Epsilon chapter) — with minimal occupancy for the past months — appears unkempt and very much like an old, decrepit fraternity house.

Not exactly what potential renters, MSU students or community members appreciate.
Thankfully, developers quickly moved in on the Collingwood project and didn’t hesitate to start the extensive construction — which still is ongoing. Regardless of their motivation — likely money — it looks great for the area and a potential eyesore will be up and running next fall.

Although most of the interior is being remodeled, the facade of the original house will be maintained to comply with the city’s Bailey Neighborhood Historic District.

Thankfully, city ordinances demand the maintaining of the house’s original character and facade. In a city and campus community of perpetual change and growth, there is a respect for preserving such places as a part of culture and history.

As an alternative to the slew of rundown apartments lining Grand River Avenue are the cookie-cutter colonies far north. These apartments allow students still to live together but also give them ample personal space.

Having more options for student living always is appreciated especially in such a high-demand area.

Student-oriented housing desperately is needed in downtown East Lansing. Price makes this property stand out because with tuition increases and growing expenses students shouldn’t be forced to choose far away or rundown living spaces.

It’s important that not only the physical character remains intact, but also the student atmosphere of the building. East Lansing always has been and always will be full of MSU students living in the community — especially near campus.

Share and discuss “Converted fraternity has positive implications” on social media.