Saturday, September 28, 2024

Speech a time for olive branches

Singh

The State of the Union speech President Barack Obama gives tonight will allow him to reframe the next two years of his presidency. His upcoming legislative agenda, reputation and vision will all be on the line.

Americans, more dispirited now than in any other time in recent memory, will be listening carefully to what he says and how he says it.

In my judgment, the president must do two things in order to have a successful speech: connect on an emotional level with the public and mend his ties with the business community.

Achieving both will be a prerequisite for advancing his legislative agenda and his prospects at re-election in the upcoming year.

First, Obama must address our stubbornly high unemployment. This is the longest period of time following World War II that unemployment has remained more than 9.5 percent. The economy is not even creating enough jobs to keep up with population growth.

The human tragedy of joblessness is beyond description. The pain is scattered across every industry in every region.

President Obama must show he understands he lost 64 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives in large part because of persistent joblessness in our society. For 18 months, he chased his legislative dream of health care reform and won ugly to get it. His speech must prove his agenda will be dedicated to changing this tragic economic outlook and, finally, his priorities are those of the American people.

There also is a prevailing fear of American decline in the world that needs to be addressed. The president must remind Americans that our country still is home to the best universities in the world, that most innovation still comes from our shores and that any foreigner still would do just about anything to get a chance to make it in our country.

In a not too distant past, a Obama made roaring speeches in Iowa and New Hampshire, touting America’s exceptional institutions and history. He demanded that while America is great, she could be made better, and that “our destiny is not written for us but by us.”

America, more than ever, needs an Iowa Caucus speech tonight.

In order to deliver faster job growth, the president finally must make peace with the business community. There still remains an ugly relationship between the White House and the business community.

Organizations representing businesses, large and small, consistently have come out to oppose much of the president’s agenda throughout the last two years. Even center-left journalists, such as Thomas Friedman, have noted the investing uncertainty and mistrust that has arisen from the president’s blistering rhetoric toward businesses.

No president can succeed in creating jobs by ignoring the merited concerns from the small, medium and large businesses that create jobs. Accordingly, it is important the president does not invoke the combative rhetoric he has used in the past against business to score political points.

The president said in a recent press conference that America celebrates wealth, and the inventors of great products deserve to be rich. He named a centrist Democrat from the business world, William Daley, as his chief of staff.

And he even wrote an opinion editorial in The Wall Street Journal citing his administration’s goal to cut unnecessary regulation for businesses through the promise of an executive order.

These are all positive steps, but in tonight’s speech, business leaders will be waiting to hear what this newfound, pro-business tone means specifically for public policy. A clearly articulated vision of cooperating with business is needed for convincing corporations and banks to invest back into the economy.

Admittedly, such a balance of substance, tone and emotion is difficult to strike. It does not help that faith in government is at historic lows and that people have become accustomed to their elected officials misbehaving.

But that’s why we elect presidents — for leadership. Self-appointed pundits like myself only can give a limited amount of advice to a president who’s been hit by a political reality.

It will be the president’s task to translate tonight’s speech into policies that will help the American people. And if he can do that, he might just get re-elected.

The floor is yours, Mr. President.

Ameek Singh is a State News guest columnist and an international relations junior. Reach him at sodhiame@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Speech a time for olive branches” on social media.