Monday, October 21, 2024

Dantonio prepares to face former mentor, Saban

Then-football head coach Nick Saban passes along the end zone while the Spartans warm up before the game against Michigan on Oct. 9, 1999.

About 11 years ago, T.J. Duckett was a confused 18-year-old freshman.

Then a bruising tailback for the MSU football team, which was preparing to take on Florida in the 2000 Citrus Bowl, Duckett was with the Spartans in large part because he wanted to play for then-head coach Nick Saban.

For 11 games, Duckett got what he wanted, learning from Saban “how to grow and become a man” along with developing as a football player. But about a month before Duckett’s 12th game — MSU’s Citrus Bowl appearance — Saban delivered the news that he was leaving to take the head coaching job at LSU.

“I don’t remember the exact feeling,” Duckett said of when he found out Saban was leaving. “I do know I was disappointed. I was a kid, and he was my coach. That’s confusing at the time.”

Although upset about losing his head coach, Duckett, who said playing for Saban was “awesome,” followed Saban’s post-MSU career. That career has led Saban to a brief stint with the NFL’s Miami Dolphins and now back to the college game as the head coach of defending national champion Alabama.

On New Year’s Day when the No. 7 Spartans play the No. 15 Crimson Tide in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fla., Saban’s career will come full circle, as he takes on his former team for the first time.

“I think that’s going to add a whole lot of excitement,” Duckett said of Saban coaching against MSU. “But again, it’s a football game. None of these kids playing played for Coach Saban.”

Current MSU head coach Mark Dantonio served five years under Saban (1995-99) as a defensive coach, and one year with Bobby Williams, who coached the Spartans for three seasons before joining Saban with the Crimson Tide in 2008 as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator.

“It’s a unique situation,” Dantonio said. “There will be some fun spots in there, and there will be some times where you have to recollect yourself and realize what you’re dealing with.”

Dantonio said he remains close with both Saban and Williams, and most recently talked with them following his Sept. 19 heart attack. And 15 years after Saban first gave him a chance to coach with him in East Lansing, Dantonio said he still looks up to him.

“As a defensive coach, Coach Saban is really probably my biggest mentor as a coach,” Dantonio said. “And I probably sit here as a head football coach because of him bringing me here.”

Like Duckett, Dantonio has followed Saban since he left MSU and has visited him during his time with the Dolphins and Alabama.

Saban said in a conference call earlier this week that he expects Jan. 1, 2011, to be at least a little emotional for himself, but maybe even more so for the Spartan faithful.

“I’m sure they’ll have some (emotions) for me, too,” Saban said laughing. “But Michigan State is a great place. It’s a place I have a lot of fond memories of.”

Describing Dantonio as a “good friend,” Saban said the fourth-year head coach is one of the coaches “you have a tremendous amount of respect for.”

Although the two are friends, Dantonio said both he and Saban will do everything they can to help their teams to victory.

“The competitiveness in you as a person sort of takes a hold of you a little bit,” Dantonio said. “But it will be good to get together on Jan, 1 I guess. We’re looking forward to it.”

Share and discuss “Dantonio prepares to face former mentor, Saban” on social media.