Friday, September 20, 2024

Icers swept at Western Michigan

On the road for the first time this season, the No. 12 MSU hockey team was swept in a pair of games at Western Michigan.

The Broncos (6-2-2 overall, 2-1-1 CCHA) got the best of the Spartans (3-2-3, 1-2-1) in the 4-3 and 3-1 decisions.

Friday night saw the Spartans jump to a quick 2-0 lead with two goals from junior forward Brett Perlini, but a pair of goals in the second period allowed the Broncos to tie the game.

Junior forward Mike Merrifield put MSU up a goal again in the second period only to see Western Michigan score the last two goals of the night.

Saturday night proved more challenging for MSU.

Western Michigan scored a goal in the first period and MSU was able to retaliate less than two minutes later with a goal from senior forward Dustin Gazley.

Former Spartan Ben Warda gave the Broncos their game-winner midway through the second period, and the Broncos added an empty net goal in the third period when junior goalie Drew Palmisano was pulled for an extra attacker.

MSU came close to tying the game twice with two goals by Perlini. Both goals were waived off by the referees.

MSU will be back at Munn Ice Arena this weekend for a series against Ohio State.

Share and discuss “Icers swept at Western Michigan” on social media.