Sunday, May 19, 2024

Spartans prepare for Duquesne road game

With the Big Ten Conference opener against Northwestern looming on Sunday, the No. 15 MSU men’s soccer team is looking to tie up some loose ends when it plays Duquesne on Wednesday in Pittsburgh.

The Spartans (5-1), fresh off an excellent weekend with victories against Marquette and Notre Dame, must make the quick turnaround with a six-hour road trip and game against a team coming off a tough loss, head coach Damon Rensing said.

“This is going to be a very tough game,” Rensing said. “The turnaround time, the six-hour bus ride, we’re playing on FieldTurf, the guys are coming off an emotional win. Duquesne came off a tough defeat where they were up 2-0 and gave up three goals in the last 25 minutes. It’ll be tough.”

The Dukes (3-2) were up 2-0 in a game against Detroit on Saturday but were unable to keep the lead and gave up three goals in the final 20 minutes of the game.

The Spartans are the sixth team in the Dukes’ nine-game home-stand to open the season.

Duquesne home games are played on artificial turf, leading the Spartans to practice indoors at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building this week, senior midfielder and co-captain Jeff Ricondo said.

“It plays a little different than grass, so we are just getting ready for that,” Ricondo said. “(Monday) we’re just going over general stuff, and we’ll focus on (Duquesne) when we get there.”

The Spartans beat the Dukes, 3-1, at home last year to open up the season.

Rensing said the team will have to practice late Tuesday night in Pittsburgh as the Duquesne field is reserved for intramural soccer during the afternoon.

Duquesne has had its ups and downs to start the season, including 3-1 victories against Robert Morris and Army, a 1-0 win against Saint Joseph’s and a 2-0 loss to Saint Francis (Pennsylvania).

The Spartans will have to keep tabs on Duquesne forward Simon Gomez, a freshman with five of the Dukes’ nine goals on the season.

While Duquesne has struggled to a bumpy start, MSU has gone on a winning streak since losing to Georgetown in the second game of the season, winning four in a row. The streak has given the Spartans solid footing for the rest of the season, junior midfielder Cyrus Saydee said.

“It gives us a lot of confidence,” Saydee said. “It shows we make up a solid team and can win. And with everyone playing well, hopefully that boosts us the rest of the season.”

MSU moved up to No. 15 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America/adidas national poll and No. 4 in the Great Lakes Region — the highest ranked team in the Big Ten. Duquesne, meanwhile, is No. 9 in the Mid-Atlantic Region and unranked in the national poll.

After Duquesne’s tough loss against Detroit, Rensing expects the Dukes to bring their all against the Spartans.

“I think now we’re going to start getting the top games from everyone we play, including Duquesne,” he said. “We have to find a way to respond to that.”

Share and discuss “Spartans prepare for Duquesne road game” on social media.