Monday, October 21, 2024

Spartans, Irish prepare for battle under the lights

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio talks about former Spartans Brad Van Pelt and John Pringel, who will be honored as the newest members of the “Ring of Fame” at Spartan Stadium before Saturday’s game against Notre Dame. Dantonio also discusses the emotional return of senior fullback Josh Rouse as MSU’s fourth captain Saturday after Rouse suffered a season-ending neck injury in the Spartans’ opener against Western Michigan. And with Saturday’s game being the first against Notre Dame since then-sophomore quarterback Kirk Cousins threw a late-game interception in the Spartans’ loss to the Fighting Irish last season, Dantonio talks about Cousins’ attitude heading into this season’s matchup, along with his evaluation of Cousins after two games.

Records, rankings and statistics are worthless when it comes to the rivalry between MSU and Notre Dame. With nine of the last 11 meetings decided by 10 points or less, it is a safe bet this year’s game will be just the latest exciting matchup in the series.

If the game comes down to the final minutes like it often does, even the smallest of details can be the difference between winning and losing.

Here are five matchups to watch for that could be deciding factors when the Spartans take on the Fighting Irish (8 p.m. ABC) on Saturday at Spartan Stadium.

MSU secondary vs. Notre Dame quarterback Dayne Crist

The Spartans have given up almost 500 yards passing in just two games, but have been able to make plays on the ball with 11 pass breakups. Crist threw for 277 yards and two touchdowns last week against Michigan in spite of sitting out much of the game with an injury. Saturday’s game will be a great chance for the MSU defensive backs to show the first two games were not flukes. Unfortunately, it won’t be enough.
Edge: Notre Dame

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio vs. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly

When Dantonio left Cincinnati four years ago to take the head job at MSU, Kelly stepped in to fill the vacancy.

Kelly went on to go 34-6 in three seasons with the Bearcats, including two Big East Championships before moving on to take the Notre Dame job at the end of last season.

The verdict on who is the better coach is yet to be decided.

When it comes to Saturday’s game, Dantonio has the advantage of being with his program for four years, but Kelly is known for having one of the best offensive minds in college football and has proven in the past he can win almost immediately wherever he goes.
Edge: Push

MSU running game vs. Notre Dame front seven

The MSU rushing attack has been a pleasant surprise for Dantonio and the Spartans this season.

After being a question mark throughout the offseason, MSU has amassed 572 yards on the ground in just two games, all without sophomore running back Larry Caper, who led the team in rushing last season but has missed the last two games with an injured right hand.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame ranks 96th in the nation in rush defense, giving up 195 yards per game on the ground, including 258 yards by U-M quarterback Denard Robinson last week.

If there is anything the Spartans should be able to take advantage of Saturday, it is the Fighting Irish’s weak defense against the run.
Edge: MSU

MSU junior quarterback Kirk Cousins vs. Notre Dame secondary

When MSU and Notre Dame played in South Bend, Ind., last season, Cousins shredded the Fighting Irish for 302 yards and one touchdown.

However, on the Spartans’ final drive, Cousins threw an interception deep in Notre Dame territory, sealing a 33-30 win for the Fighting Irish. The play undoubtedly will be on Cousins’ mind all week as he prepares to take on a Notre Dame pass defense that is almost as bad as its run defense.
Edge: MSU

MSU crowd vs. Crist and the Notre Dame offense

Crist has been effective and efficient for the Fighting Irish this season, completing almost 63 percent of his passes.

However, in his first two games as Notre Dame’s full-time starter, Crist has been able to lead the offense in the friendly confines of Notre Dame Stadium.

The atmosphere in East Lansing will be a new one for Crist, and with Saturday’s game being just the ninth night game in the history of Spartan Stadium, the MSU faithful will be a loud distraction for the Fighting Irish.
Edge: MSU

Share and discuss “Spartans, Irish prepare for battle under the lights” on social media.