Monday, October 21, 2024

Spartans hope to use depth on defensive line to their advantage

After struggling to create a pass rush from its front four last season, the MSU defensive line hopes its depth will provide a change this season.

The Spartans rotated six players at the defensive ends positions in last Saturday’s season-opening win against Western Michigan.

The result was Western Michigan struggling to rush the ball, only averaging 2.7 yards per carry. However, the Spartans sacked Western Michigan’s quarterback only once, and that was on the second play from scrimmage.

If MSU is able to generate a good pass rush, it will have to be by committee, at least early in the season. But with several players capable of making plays, that’s not necessarily a bad thing, players said.

“It’s just the excitement to see each other do well makes us a better football team,” senior defensive end Colin Neely said. “We’re friends before we play football together. … We just want to see each other do well.”

The group’s closeness was evident in Saturday’s win, but more will be expected out of the unit as the season progresses.

Head coach Mark Dantonio praised the defensive tackles at his weekly press conference, but said more was needed from the ends if the Spartans are to continue to win.

“They have to be more dominant,” Dantonio said. “Some of them were playing for the first time.”

Although more consistency is expected from the group, players showed promise last week.

Sophomore Tyler Hoover, who is listed on the depth chart as a co-starter at one defensive end position with freshman William Gholston, recovered a first quarter fumble last week.

Neely, who is the starter at the other defensive end position, recorded a sack.

Gholston showed signs of being the dominant force that the coaches expect him to be.

“I feel like we have a constant rotation where everybody gets in so everybody gets time to play,” Gholston said.

Junior defensive end Todd Anderson saw significant playing time Saturday and is in the rotation for the first time in his career. Anderson missed last season with a knee injury, but, in his first game back, finished with three tackles and a pass-breakup.

Sophomore defensive end Corey Freeman and redshirt freshman end Denzel Drone also made contributions Saturday, recording two and one tackles, respectively.

Together, they hope to corral Florida Atlantic quarterback Jeff Van Camp and the other players they face this season.

“The inside guys are scary,” Neely said.

“They’re fast, they’re big and they’re scary, so that just helps the ends on the outside. We can work together.”

Receivers splitting time

The first week did nothing to separate senior Mark Dell and junior Keith Nichol from being co-starters atop the depth chart.

Dell had six catches for 81 yards, and Nichol made a remarkable touchdown grab, finishing with two catches for 32 yards.

The other receiver position features a co-starting role between junior B.J. Cunningham and junior Keshawn Martin for the second straight week.

“On certain routes, I could’ve done a better job to get open,” Dell said.

“I caught the ball pretty well. Not having any drops was a good thing for me. It was a step toward being a leader to the younger guys.”

New scholarships

Anderson, sophomore kicker Dan Conroy, senior fullback Nick Bendzuck, junior defensive end Johnathan Strayhorn and senior safety Jesse Johnson all have been granted scholarships since fall camp.

Anderson recovered from a knee injury last year to work back into playing shape.

Conroy is the starting kicker and Bendzuck is listed as No. 1 on the depth chart at fullback, largely because of the recent injury to senior Josh Rouse. Strayhorn plays nose tackle in MSU’s third-down defense.

“When I see guys working as hard as I do that don’t have a scholarship, it motivates you to keep pushing,” junior quarterback Kirk Cousins said. “To see that is a testament to the guys’ hard work. We all go to work together.”

Share and discuss “Spartans hope to use depth on defensive line to their advantage” on social media.