Monday, October 21, 2024

QB Cousins ready to break out vs. Irish

Junior quarterback Kirk Cousins calls the play at the line of scrimmage Sept. 4 at Spartan Stadium. Cousins passed the ball for 186 yards, helping lead the Spartans to a 38-14 victory over Western Michigan.

The last time junior quarterback Kirk Cousins played against Notre Dame, his pass across the middle of the field was intercepted by a Fighting Irish defender, stalling MSU’s potential game-winning drive at the Notre Dame 18-yard line.

Notre Dame won, 33-30, and Cousins has been questioned about the play ever since.

With Saturday’s matchup against Notre Dame looming, MSU will look to Cousins to leave last year’s loss in the past and take his game to the next level. Game time is set for 8 p.m. on ABC.

“He hasn’t been talking about it,” MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio said. “He’s a very hard worker. He works extremely hard every week to get ready for that opponent that we’ll play against. You can’t change the past, but you can work toward the future, and that’s what he’s doing.”

Cousins, who is 22-for-38 for 328 yards with two touchdowns and an interception on the season thus far, was effective in his first two games, but hasn’t played anywhere near his best game, which makes the matchup against Notre Dame all that more imperative.

Cousins hasn’t been asked to do much as the Spartans have been able to rely on an improved running game, but Dantonio said he’s excited that Cousins’ big day is still in front of him.

“I think Kirk’s done a good job as a quarterback and I think he’s played well, but I don’t think he’s played to his expectations yet,” Dantonio said. “That’s a good thing. I think the fact that we’ve been able to run the ball so effectively creates different situations.”

Cousins threw a late interception last week against Florida Atlantic, but other than that, he’s converted on several big plays, including a 30-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver B.J. Cunningham in the first half of last week’s game.

Cousins threw for 302 yards last year against Notre Dame, and will likely get more opportunities this week after only throwing 17 times against FAU in a rush-first approach.

Cousins hopes to continue his bounce-back ability he has shown early in his career, as he recorded 201 passing yards against Wisconsin last season following the Notre Dame loss.

Rouse named honorary captain

Senior fullback Josh Rouse, who suffered a season-ending neck injury in the Spartans’ first game, was named an honorary captain for Saturday’s game.

The moment will be similar to 1999, when Amp Campbell led the Spartans onto the field against Notre Dame. Campbell broke two vertebrates in his neck during a 1998 game against Oregon, but played the 1999 season in a remarkable comeback story.

“It’ll be a great moment and opportunity for Josh and our football team,” Dantonio said.

Ring of Fame

MSU football greats Brad Van Pelt and John Pingel will be added to Spartan Stadium’s Ring of Fame before Saturday night’s game. Currently, Don Coleman, George Webster, former MSU President John Hannah and Charles “Bubba” Smith are the only ones in the Ring of Fame.

Van Pelt was a two-time All-American defensive back and a member of the team from 1970-72, winning the Maxwell Award as the nation’s top player in 1972.

Pingel played halfback during the late 1930s and was one of the top do-it-all players.

“(Van Pelt) was always there to help and offer words of encouragement,” Dantonio said. “(Pingel) was one of the nation’s most valuable all-purpose runners.”

Share and discuss “QB Cousins ready to break out vs. Irish” on social media.