Monday, October 21, 2024

Dantonio looks for Spartans to finish job

MSU senior linebacker Eric Gordon attempts to tackle Florida Atlantic quarterback Jeff Van Camp on Saturday at Ford Field in Detroit.

MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio wants his team to lay it on.

For the second straight game Saturday, MSU executed well on its first two drives and took an early lead, but watched its opponent climb back in the game.

The Spartans jumped out to a 10-0 lead early in Saturday’s 30-17 win against Florida Atlantic, then led 27-7 in the third quarter, but let FAU back in it both times and had to make a late defensive stand to secure a 30-17 victory.

That was after the Spartans took an early lead the previous week against Western Michigan, then saw their offense slow and defense allow the Broncos to score a touchdown and tie the game.

“Once again, I felt like we were ready to put this team away, then we let them hang around,” Dantonio said. “We’ve got to clean up some errors and missed assignments.”

Second-half turnovers by junior quarterback Kirk Cousins and freshman running back Le’Veon Bell allowed the Owls back in the game after the Spartans appeared to have the game put away. Cousins’ interception in the third quarter gave away a great scoring opportunity, and Bell’s fumble halfway through the fourth quarter gave FAU great field position.

After allowing the Broncos to hang around last week, MSU knows a more complete effort is needed in coming weeks.

MSU got off to a quick start when Cousins hit senior wide receiver Mark Dell for a 19-yard completion on MSU’s first drive, setting up a 44-yard field goal by sophomore kicker Dan Conroy.

After the defense forced a three-and-out, the Spartans received a great punt return from junior wide receiver Keshawn Martin to start inside FAU territory, and Bell put the Spartans ahead 10-0, setting the stage for a blowout.

On the next possession, however, the defense could not stop the Owls on their 15-play, 76-yard drive, which was capped by running back Alfred Morris’ two-yard touchdown run. After MSU took a 27-7 lead in the third quarter, the Owls responded for the second time with a 16-play, 80-yard drive to eat up clock and climb within 27-14.

The Owls mounted another late drive in forcing a late MSU defensive stand with under two minutes remaining in kicking a field goal.

Maxwell to see time

Cousins completed 9-of-17 passes for 142 yards, a touchdown and an interception, and although the MSU passing attack hasn’t shown the potency people expected, Dantonio said Cousins has done a good job of leading the team during the past two weeks.

Dantonio said he was disappointed the opportunity didn’t arise to allow redshirt freshman quarterback Andrew Maxwell, who is listed as No. 2 on the depth chart at QB, a chance to play Saturday.

“I think he’s a very good player, and he needs to get the experience,” head coach Mark Dantonio said.

At some point this year, Dantonio said he hopes to substitute Maxwell in at quarterback in a similar manner as he did with Cousins in the 2009 Capital One Bowl, when Cousins saw playing time in the first half and completed 4-of-5 passes, filling in for starter Brian Hoyer.

“At some point in time, we’re going to do that, but we haven’t said, ‘This is the week we’re going to do it’ yet,” Dantonio said.

Interference penalties

Although MSU cleaned up its penalties for the most part Saturday, it was whistled for three pass interference penalties that helped extend FAU drives.

Most of the interference calls occurred on short passes that didn’t result in big yardage gains, but MSU will need a better effort to get the defense off the field in coming weeks.

A positive sign, however, could be seen in junior safety Trenton Robinson and senior safety Marcus Hyde, each recording two pass breakups apiece. Last week, the Spartans had seven pass breakups against Western Michigan.

To avoid calls, Dantonio said his team needs to make better alignments.

“It’s frustrating, but we played press coverage and there’s going to be plays where you have your back turned to the ball,” Dantonio said. “You’ve got to make plays with that. You’ve got to read their eyes and their hands. There are just going to be times when that happens.”

Share and discuss “Dantonio looks for Spartans to finish job” on social media.