Monday, October 21, 2024

Plenty to watch for as Spartans get prepared

Top storylines in preseason camp

Jeremy Warnemuende

Preseason camp for the MSU football team can be tough on students and fans who are excited for the season to begin. With the first game not until Sept. 4 at home against Western Michigan, all of the talk about football without any action can get old quickly.

But as the Spartans prepare for their first game, here are four storylines that will keep things interesting this preseason.

Secondary improvements

After finishing last in the Big Ten in pass defense last season, MSU’s secondary will receive a lot of attention throughout the camp and into the regular season.

One of the most important things to look for during the preseason is who will step up to be a leader in the Spartans’ defensive backfield. Junior safety Trenton Robinson appears to be the most vocal player in the group, and head coach Mark Dantonio has been praising the first-year start since last spring.

Another senior — cornerback Chris L. Rucker — led MSU in pass breakups last season, and as one of the better defensive backs on the team, also could take on a bigger leadership role.

Fresh faces

Unlike the secondary, MSU’s linebackers were one of the team’s strongest units last season.

And with promising newcomers making their way to East Lansing for this season, the Spartans’ linebackers could be even better in 2010.

Freshman William Gholston is one of the top recruits to come to MSU during the Dantonio era and has all the physical tools to play linebacker for the Spartans. Similarly, freshman Max Bullough, who was an early enrollee last spring, already showed he has the potential to be a very good leader during spring practice.

Depending on how the two young players perform in camp, both Bullough and Gholston could go into MSU’s first game ready to contribute immediately.

Potential position battle

The depth chart at wide receiver looks about the same as it did last spring. Juniors Keith Nichol and Keshawn Martin sit atop the depth chart at the X and Z positions, respectively, and although junior B.J. Cunningham and senior Mark Dell are the Spartans’ top two returning receivers, they currently are behind Nichol and Martin.

Under ordinary circumstances, Cunningham and Dell likely would be the starters for MSU this season. However, both players are coming back to the team after being suspended at the end of last season for being part of the altercation at Rather Hall in November.

As the preseason continues, it will be interesting to see if Nichol and Martin can keep their first-string positions or if Cunningham and Dell will work their way back into the coaches’ good graces and earn starting spots.

Getting to know each other

Perhaps more than any other group on a football team, getting a lot of repetitions together is necessary on the offensive line, as everyone needs to be on the same page to open running holes and keep the quarterback on his feet.

With some uncertainty still surrounding MSU’s offensive line, it is important the starters are decided soon so they can have as much time as possible to work together this offseason and get used to playing alongside each other.

The left side of the line seems locked into place with senior D.J. Young at left tackle and junior Joel Foreman at left guard. Senior center John Stipek and sophomore right guard Chris McDonald also appear to have secured starting spots, leaving the right tackle position as the biggest question mark.

If the MSU coaching staff can settle the battle between senior J’Michael Deane and junior Jared McGaha soon, then the unit has a chance to make great strides before the season begins.

Jeremy Warnemuende is a State News sports reporter. He can be reached at warnemu3@msu.edu

Share and discuss “Plenty to watch for as Spartans get prepared” on social media.