Monday, October 21, 2024

Football camp update: Kickers looking for consistency

Freshman Gholston moving to defensive end

More than two weeks into fall practice, the challenge of replacing record-breaking kicker Brett Swenson remains the same as it was in spring practice.

Both kickers, sophomore Dan Conroy and redshirt freshman Kevin Muma, have remained even throughout practices and both have had their ups and downs.

Head coach Mark Dantonio said neither player kicked well during Saturday’s scrimmage, but both responded well Monday and will continue to battle.

“They both have to kick more consistently,” Dantonio said. “Based on the way they kicked yesterday, they’re still even, but there’s a lot of football to be played.”

Conroy, who has attempted one career field goal and nine kickoffs, has a slight edge with experience, but that likely won’t amount to much in the final deciding process before the Sept. 4 opener against Western Michigan.

Muma said the two players have similar leg strength but must work on consistency, and that the competition makes each player work harder.

“There’s a lot of pressure, which is good, because that’s what it’s going to be in a game situation,” Muma said.

Both players learned from Swenson, one of the most decorated kickers in school history, in his final year last season and have leaders in senior long-snapper Alex Shackleton and senior punter Aaron Bates.

Swenson was MSU’s all-time leader in field goals and points scored, but Dantonio said he feels confident in whichever kicker he decides to go with.

“It was great to learn from Brett,” Muma said. “He helped with the mind aspect. He was like a robot. Every single kick he did was the exact same way.”

Dantonio said the players hit 21-for-21 on field goals in practice Monday and that neither has a distinct advantage.

The difference between practice and scrimmages is that the pressure level is turned up during scrimmages and makes it more difficult on the kickers.

“The coaches try to put more emphasis on it and make it more of a pressure situation,” Conroy said. “In their minds, that might count more than in a normal practice.”

Both players said they try as hard in practice as they do in the scrimmage.

Freshman Mike Sadler is also in the mix at kicker, although his lack of experience puts him at a disadvantage.

Sadler should be someone to watch in coming seasons and is unique in that he punts left-footed and kicks right-footed.

“I was a little confused when I first saw it, but he’s doing well,” Muma said. “Punting is a lot different swing than kicking, so I’m sure it helps.”

Gholston moving to defensive line

Freshman linebacker William Gholston, who was a highly-touted defensive recruit before joining the team in the fall, has moved to the defensive line because he thinks it’s a better fit for him.

Gholston approached Dantonio during the team’s visit to Ford Field in Detroit on Thursday and said he thinks he can help more with rushing the quarterback, and saw no complaints from Dantonio.

“I said ‘How much are you weighing?’ and he said ‘260’ and I said ‘Let’s go.’” Dantonio said. “I think as he continued to rush the passer, he saw himself as a guy who could help a little more in that area.”

Dantonio mentioned redshirt freshman Denzel Drone as another defensive end that is improving.

Youth provides depth in secondary

Several newcomers are stepping up to give depth to the secondary.

Sophomore Johnny Adams and senior Chris L. Rucker appear to be the starting cornerbacks and junior Trenton Robinson and senior Marcus Hyde are the starting safeties, but after that, MSU didn’t have much experience heading into fall camp.

Impressive play by freshman safety Isaiah Lewis and freshman cornerback Darqueze Dennard have generated praise from the coaches, and freshman cornerback Mylan Hicks and junior cornerback Chris D. Rucker have transitioned well.

Hicks was a high school standout last season, while Rucker spent time as a wide receiver.

“I wish (Rucker) would’ve come in during the spring,” Barnett said. “He’s got limited reps with the freshmen here… He’s doing a good job.”

Share and discuss “Football camp update: Kickers looking for consistency” on social media.