Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Fantasy camp allows adults to live dream

Gladwin resident Greg Juneack runs through the “human gauntlet,” a drill meant to strengthen ball security at the fifth annual Spartan Football Fantasy Camp. The camp was open to all adult men and gave those who attended the opportunity to truly see what the players and coaches that make up the Spartan football team go through in training.

MSU alumnus Paul Housey didn’t play football in high school. But Tuesday, he played at Spartan Stadium with former MSU football players Herb Haygood and Courtney Hawkins.

Housey joined 14 other men who were able to live out their dream in the fifth annual Spartan Football Fantasy Camp, which was Tuesday and Wednesday.

For a cost of $1,250, or $1,000 for returners, camp participants were given practice equipment and participated in drills and a 7-on-7 scrimmage while being coached by MSU football coaches and former MSU players.

The program also included a tour of the Skandalaris Football Center, breakfast and dinner with the MSU coaching staff, accommodations in Kellogg Center and autographed Spartan memorabilia.

“To get a glimpse of what the players go through, just to walk through that tunnel and feel what they feel walking to the stadium, I know it’s probably corny, but for me, I’ve been a fan my whole life and I’ve been to all the games, and to see what it’s like on the other side has been once-in-a-lifetime,” said Housey, a native of Troy, Mich., who graduated from MSU in 1993.

On Tuesday, camp participants went through team meetings in the Skandalaris Football Center, where coaches showed them drills and plays the Spartan football team runs.

“We showed them drills, we showed them concepts defensively and offensively that we run so they got a taste of what it’s like to be in a meeting room,” offensive line coach Dan Roushar said. “As they come in, they have no idea. I took them through one particular play that we run and just the adjustments that take place, they have to be split-second adjustments.

“I think they get a better appreciation for the intellectual part of the game of football. It’s not just the physical nature that maybe you see on TV.”

Hawkins played for MSU from 1988-91, and was a two-time first team All-Big Ten wide receiver. The former Spartan great said he was honored to be back as a camp instructor.

“It brings back some great memories. Coming through the tunnel, I kind of see this place full like it was when I was here,” Hawkins said. “There’s nothing like that feeling, there’s nothing that can replace it. Even playing on the pro level, coming out of the tunnel for the (Pittsburgh) Steelers was one thing, but coming out of the tunnel as a Spartan was unbelievable.”

Tom Nihra, a 1989 MSU graduate from Warren, Mich., has participated in all five of the fantasy camps. Nihra said he and other returning campers have developed a camaraderie and stay in touch outside of the camp.

“A lot of times we see each other at other events,” Nihra said. “These guys, I would never have met (them) before doing this and we see each other all over, at road games, at basketball games, we run each other and it’s great to renew friendships as we see each other at different things.”

This year was Housey’s first in the camp, but he said he already has called friends to join him at the camp next year. However, Housey knows he will be joined by the friends he made at this year’s camp.

“If anyone is here at this camp, then to me, that means we’ve got something in common, that’s the love of Spartan football,” he said. “So to me, if you’re here, you’re a good guy and I look forward to seeing these guys again whether it’s here or outside of here.”

Share and discuss “Fantasy camp allows adults to live dream” on social media.