Saturday, September 28, 2024

Some E.L. residents still without power after Friday storm

Leaf debris covers many houses and cars in an East Lansing neighborhood after a severe storm went through Friday evening. The severe storm had high winds and large hail.

Some East Lansing residents remain without power after a severe storm moved through the area Friday causing multiple downed trees and power lines.

East Lansing police Sgt. Mike Phillips said he has not received any reports of injuries. Overall, the extent of the damage to the city was minimum, he said.

Barbara Mitzel, Consumers Energy area manager and media representative, said about 1,018 Consumers Energy customers still are without power in the Lansing and East Lansing area.

She said crews currently are assisting the hardest-hit areas near Lake Lansing Road and the Carriage Hills East Apartments in East Lansing. Power might be restored to affected customers by 8 p.m. Saturday, Mitzel said.

Mark Nixon, spokesman for the Lansing Board of Water & Light, said all customers had power restored before noon Saturday. Power was expected to be restored earlier in the morning, but the extent of the storm’s damage delayed the restoration time, he said.

“(The) problem was not just one pole or one transformer,” Nixon said. “It was a lot of limbs on a lot of wires. When that happens, it takes that much longer to get power restored to our customers.”

The intersection at Hagadorn and Haslett roads was the hardest hit after the storm, Nixon said.

After the storm, East Lansing resident Julie Shaltry walked outside to survey the extent of the damage.

“I was hoping today was the day, but instead we had a tornado,” she said, nine months pregnant and due in four days. “My (3-year-old) daughter was really scared — it sounded like a freight train.”

The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids issued a severe thunderstorm warning at 6:45 p.m. Friday for the storm, which was capable of producing winds in excess of 60 mph. There are no confirmed reports of a tornado in the area.

A flood watch is in effect from 6 p.m. Saturday through Sunday morning for the potential of rain in excess of two inches from additional thunderstorms.

Staff photographer Kat Petersen contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Some E.L. residents still without power after Friday storm” on social media.