Walk-off home run ends MSU's season in stunning fashion

Northwestern hits 3-run blast in bottom of ninth

The MSU baseball team was given a taste of its own medicine Saturday, losing 8-6 to Northwestern on a walk-off home run at Rocky Miller Park in Evanston, Ill., ending the Spartans’ season and hopes of making a second consecutive Big Ten Tournament.

On Friday, the Spartans scored in the top of the ninth inning to take the 2-1 win, but Wildcat first baseman and pitcher Paul Snieder was the hero Saturday when he stepped to the plate down 6-5 with two men on and hit a three-run bomb to right field.

MSU (34-19 overall, 11-13 Big Ten) needed a win over Northwestern (24-30, 13-11) to finish in the top six in the conference and reach the Big Ten Tournament.

Saturday’s loss coupled with Indiana’s win over Illinois sealed the Spartans’ fate and ended their season.

For the first time in the series for either team, Northwestern scored in the first inning on a two-RBI single. The Wildcats got to MSU sophomore pitcher Tony Bucciferro for four hits and a walk in the inning.

The Spartans, meanwhile, advanced runners to third in each of the first two innings, but were unable to convert on either opportunity.

However, freshman third baseman Torsten Boss took matters into his own hands in the third inning and hit a solo shot to right field, making the score 2-1 through three.

One inning later, after two singles for MSU and a throwing error by the Wildcats, junior catcher Seth Williams tied the score with a sacrifice fly that scored senior outfielder Eli Boike.

After Bucciferro’s struggles in the first inning, the righthander settled down and only allowed two hits throughout the next four innings before giving up a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth.

In the next half inning, the Spartans picked up their pitcher and took their first lead of the game. Following a fielding error by Northwestern, which allowed freshman second baseman Ryan Jones to reach base, Boss singled to send Jones to third and junior shortstop Jonathon Roof scored Jones with a single to left field.

Roof’s single advanced Boss to third, which allowed him to score on a sacrifice fly by junior first baseman Jeff Holm.
Jones added two more runs for MSU in the eighth inning on his first base hit of the game, driving in Boike and junior outfielder Brandon Eckerle for a 6-3 lead.

Northwestern bounced back in the bottom half of the inning, though. Senior pitcher Kurtis Frymier, who relieved Buccifero, forced a flyout and a strikeout after the first batter of the inning reached on a fielding error. But with two outs, the Wildcats proceeded to load the bases with the potential game-winning run at the plate.

A passed ball and a single by outfielder Chris Kontos brought home two runs, but a runner called out at the plate got Frymier out of the inning and secured the Spartans’ 6-5 lead heading into the ninth.

The slim lead would not be enough, as MSU went three up and three down in the top of the ninth before Frymier allowed a double, single and eventually Snieder’s three-run walk-off home run.

Snieder was also the winning pitcher for Northwestern.

Frymier recorded the loss for the Spartans, who were led offensively by Boike’s four-for-four performance and Jones’ two RBIs.

Share and discuss “Walk-off home run ends MSU's season in stunning fashion” on social media.