Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Actions help us teach good ethics

Gunn

Summer is a time to relax and let the mind open up to something other than 15 credits or a mass of responsibilities. Perhaps it also is the right moment to think about what a university should be fostering in its students, faculty and staff.

I was involved in a conversation a few weeks ago that focused on ethics and how we teachers at MSU should make an effort to foster ethical behavior among our students. The conversation got quite heated because half of the group felt we could do nothing to influence ethical behavior. The other half said that we needed to make every effort to give students (as well as faculty and staff) some higher roads to follow than “just do for yourself and get away with what you can.” I was one of the latter. I believe we drop the ball when we do not make the effort to “do the right thing!”

Where does one start with an opinion such as this? Perhaps it is good to define ethical behavior. According to one definition on the Internet, ethics are “motivation based on ideas of right and wrong.” I would guess this means it is better to follow the right than the wrong — at least I hope so. The difficulty many find is in expressing that behavior in the classroom, in assignments or in conversation. Because of the difficulty and the air of being uncomfortable with the pressure of teaching ethics, I looked across campus and thought of ways the university community could help foster ethical behavior in action, without resorting to preaching out back of the International Center or putting people to sleep during lectures.

What did I come up with? Let’s take, for example, all the employees who stand directly outside the Administration and the Department of Police and Public Safety Buildings, or DPPS, who send up a cloud of smoke that violates the space of nonsmokers and the documented rules of smoking near buildings on campus. Perhaps if they simply moved away from these entrances their behavior might cause others to think about the right things they should practice in their daily lives.

Another group that might influence our thoughts on ethical behavior could be the motorcycle riding members of the DPPS who enter the intersection of Wilson and Red Cedar roads after the light has turned yellow while merrily chasing other Suburban driving DPPS members. Since any other member of the public would have gotten a $175 ticket and three points on their license for the same behavior, maybe DPPS’s adherence to traffic laws would influence us to act accordingly and stop when the light has turned yellow.

It seems that on campus the most visible purveyors of bad ethical behavior revolve around movement. Whether it be jaywalkers, cars that blaze down Shaw Lane or bicycles that go airborne off the curb in front of pedestrians; the principle thought is, “I have the RIGHT and you are WRONG!” Ethics be damned. Their actions say it all. A simple change in action could be a model for us all.

Think about finals week when many of the lots suddenly popped their gates and stood open to anyone wanting to find a place to park. If a student parked there, he or she found out quickly that even though the gates were open, the lots were still restricted – the little signs said so. Is that ethical behavior? I think not. Holding out candy to a small child and then slapping them when they reach for it doesn’t send a good message. Actions speak so loudly.

Crosswalks, red lights and stop signs also can provide a fantastic breeding ground for people to study and learn about ethical behavior. If all of us driving on campus actually stopped at traffic signs, perhaps others would not only be safer in our presence, but also would think about their own time behind the wheel and do the judicious thing: Stop when required to do so. “Enhancing knowledge, Transforming lives!” Wow! This is where that really might work!

MSU’s campus is a fantastic laboratory for learning about ethical behavior and retaining the correct side of that learning. Instead of learning what I can get away with, perhaps I can see a more in-depth reason to do what is right. I need to “do the right thing” so others will learn from me. My words might affect few, but my actions might influence many.

Craig Gunn is a State News guest columnist and director of the communications program in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Reach him at gunn@egr.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Actions help us teach good ethics” on social media.