Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Van Pelt, Pingel to be added to Spartan Stadium's Ring of Fame

Looking up at the four legendary names on the east upper deck of Spartan Stadium, there always was at least one missing in the eyes of Rick Lilly.

And when former defensive back Brad Van Pelt died in February 2009 at the age of 57, the MSU football community was shaken. At the request of Van Pelt’s family, Lilly, a former student manager, pushed to get Van Pelt’s name honored.

On Wednesday, Lilly’s wish was granted when Athletics Director Mark Hollis announced that Van Pelt and former MSU halfback John Pingel will have their names added to Spartan Stadium’s Ring of Fame before MSU’s night game against Notre Dame on Sept. 18.

“During their respective playing careers, both Brad Van Pelt and John Pingel were bigger than life sports figures, and it is only fitting to honor them by adding their names to the ‘Ring of Fame,’” Hollis said in a statement. “Van Pelt has been labeled the modern day Jim Thorpe by his teammate Joe DeLamielleure, while Pingel has been described as the Doak Walker of his era. As members of the College Football Hall of Fame, they truly rank among the greatest players in Spartan history.”

Lilly was a manager from 1971-73, and during that time became close friends with Van Pelt. Six months ago, Lilly e-mailed Hollis about the possibility of Van Pelt being honored at Spartan Stadium. Hollis agreed but wanted to make sure it went through the proper process.

“Mark always indicated that he would like to do something, but it had to be done the right way and it had to be done at the right time,” Lilly said. “We tried to work very closely with him but let him know how much support Brad had.”

So Lilly, a member of the Board of Directors on the Varsity S Club, contacted more than 40 former MSU football players and got their support for Van Pelt.

“There’s a lot of us who think Brad was simply the greatest athlete in the last 50 years at Michigan State,” Lilly said.

“Seven letters, starter at football, baseball and basketball; no one has done that since the 1950s. We always felt that why wasn’t he up there anyhow?”

Born in Owosso, Mich., in 1951, Van Pelt won the Maxwell Award as the nation’s top collegiate player in 1972 — the first defensive back to win the award.

Van Pelt was a three-year starter and was named a first-team All-American as a junior and senior in 1971 and 1972. He finished his career with 256 tackles and 14 interceptions. He also was a letterwinner in basketball and baseball.

“Brad certainly ranks as one of the greatest multi-sport athletes in MSU history,” MSU football coach Mark Dantonio said in a statement.

“The fact that he became the first defensive back ever to win the Maxwell Award as the nation’s best player speaks volumes. I had the great fortune of getting to know Brad, and whenever we had a chance to visit, I could sense his Spartan pride.”

Pingel played halfback for MSU in the late 1930s and was named a first-team All-American in 1938. As a junior, he rushed for 1,146 yards and 12 touchdowns, helping MSU earn a trip to the 1938 Rose Bowl — the program’s first-ever bowl appearance.

“In the late 1930s, Pingel was one of the nation’s best all-purpose players, who could impact the outcome of a game with his ability as a runner, passer and punter,” Dantonio said.

Both have been elected into the College Football Hall of Fame and played in the NFL.

“Brad Van Pelt and John Pingel are two players that didn’t simply compete at the collegiate level — they excelled,” Dantonio said.

The men currently honored at Spartan Stadium are former players Don Coleman, George Webster and Charles “Bubba” Smith along with former MSU president John Hannah.

Those four have had their respective jersey numbers retired — Hannah for his 46 years of service — but MSU Athletics Communications said no more numbers will be retired, including those of Van Pelt and Pingel.

Smith was the last Spartan to be added to the Ring of Fame. His No. 95 was retired before a night game against Notre Dame on Sept. 23, 2006.

When asked if he’d attend the ceremony for Van Pelt and Pingel, Lilly joked and said he had retired as a manager.

“I’ll probably make it,” he said. “I’m sure a lot of us will.”

Share and discuss “Van Pelt, Pingel to be added to Spartan Stadium's Ring of Fame” on social media.