Monday, June 17, 2024

Celebrate St. Patty's day with purpose

Pat Evans

It might be too late to reach many students with this message. St. Patrick’s Day is Wednesday, and it is, without a doubt, one of the biggest drinking days seen on a college campus. Many students start their binges Tuesday night. Others begin before the sun even rises on Wednesday morning.

I’m not one to stop the St. Patty’s fun. It’s one of my favorite holidays, but many students don’t treat it as one. How many people out there know what they’re really celebrating on the magnificent date of March 17?

The day doesn’t have to be used to celebrate the real acts of St. Patrick, or even the mythical ones. Even if it’s just as simple as hoping to catch a little green dude and being rewarded with his pot of gold; that’s better than getting more than adequately tipsy for no reason. It’d be a nice to see people celebrating their Irish heritage and spend a few minutes chatting with other Irishmen on what it means to be from the Emerald Isle.

If the day is being celebrated by non-Irish people, which is more than welcomed, go ahead and give a few toasts to those immigrants who braved the many hardships throughout the past few hundred years. And if there really is no fondness for a good Irish celebration, try giving props to a favorite Patrick. My favorite (other than myself) is Patrick Warburton. Or maybe even party in memory of the late Patrick Swayze.

I just don’t want to see March 17 to be a free ticket for thousands of students to get drunk for no reason. There certainly are reasons — except dressing your pug up for St. “Pugstrick” Day. (Don’t do it; they look sad enough not dressed up.)

Growing up, my favorite holiday wasn’t Christmas or Halloween; it was St. Patrick’s Day. I’m not sure if it was only because my name is Patrick, or my favorite color was green, or that I closely resembled a leprechaun with my small stature and bright red hair, but it was the one holiday that was, without a doubt, celebrated to its fullest extent every year in my house.

My family and I would venture to downtown Grand Rapids on the Saturday before the holiday with me in full green dress and watch the parade and all those prideful Irish organizations march down the street.

On the real St. Patrick’s Day, my family and I would have full feast, celebrating the wonderful food of the Irish cuisine. A full platter of corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes was prepared by my mother and served with every green beverage imaginable — from green milk to green beer to Mountain Dew. During dinner, the story of St. Patrick was discussed, as well as Irish history.

Two years ago, my family and I traveled to Ireland. It was nice to see the place my ancestors came from before immigrating to America. Learning Irish history firsthand was great as well. But the most amazing part of the trip was seeing the amazing landscape that was the island. From the rolling green hills seen while flying over the country to the awesome Dingle Peninsula, I’m proud to think of Ireland as the home of my ancestors.

Although it’s difficult for any student to expect any one of these wonderful traditions while away at school, it gives a general idea of what one could celebrate to give the holiday its proper honor.

Besides celebrating with reason, it’d be also nice to see celebration with responsibility. If drinking begins before classes, save the professor and other students some trouble and refrain from going to class, but try and go to class before the party ensues.

And please be respectful to friends who have to work. Have some sympathy for us. Most of us who have to work are yearning to celebrate just as much as the next student. It’s a favorite holiday of mine, and my name is Patrick, I’ll be out eventually with the rest of the student body celebrating my Irish heritage. But don’t text and call buddies at work; it’ll just irritate them.

So as long as it’s to honor St. Patrick, Irish heritage or a favorite Patrick, go ahead and tip some back to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. But in doing so, try and keep in classy, Irish spirit; make it a smooth glass of Jameson or a frothy pint of Guinness.

Patrick Evans is the State News opinion writer. Reach him at evanspa7@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Celebrate St. Patty's day with purpose” on social media.