Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Spend time with your loved ones this V-Day

Pat Evans

Funerals can make you think about a lot of things. Whether it’s the realization of how one person can change so many lives or how much you loved and cared about somebody, the solemn event can alter a person’s life and strike them with a huge reality check.

I went to my first funeral last Friday, and it sure did shake me. I’m glad I was able to finally experience one, though it seems a little late in life compared to many of my friends. Death isn’t something that shocks me; I know it happens a lot, but seeing a family I’ve known for so long in such a fragile state threw me against the wall. The man who died was 57 years old — comparatively young by today’s standards. My dad turns 60 in April, so seeing a room full of people saying goodbye to a man younger than him really hit me hard.

This week is sure to be filled with love and romance, as Sunday is Valentine’s Day. But it’s a shame most people are going to focus their energy solely on a significant other, if they have one.

There’s a world full of people who need to be cared for and would love to know it, whether it’s parents, brothers, sisters or friends. Before Friday, I spent a lot of time thinking about love and how to define it. It has kept me up late into the night countless times. I’ve kept to a strict personal definition of what love is, and it has varied very little. I’ve narrowed it to three types: family, friends and romantic. I know I haven’t said “I love you” enough, but since Friday, things have opened up a little bit. I realized how many more people I really do care about, how difficult and different my life would be without them and how I have never really let them know it.

Although Valentine’s Day is considered a “Hallmark holiday,” we can treat it as a real holiday. It can be as simple as showing people who need to be loved, cared for and need to know just how much they mean to you. Sunday — and this whole week — will give everyone an opportunity to make sure love is spread. Anyone and everyone loves being told they’re loved.

Here’s a quick run-through of my definitions of “who I love,” in case you’re wondering:

Family is the foundation of so many lives. Without it, where would you be? For the most part, you’re automatically inclined to love those you’re related to, especially your nuclear family. They consistently surround you and spend a lot of time with you. They can do things that would make you hate others, but in the end, you forgive and still love each other. Sometimes family members might be absent from our lives, but make sure those who might have stepped up to fill the place of a family member know they’re loved too. For many, moms and dads lay down the path their children follow in life, and older siblings might set an example for you. They all deserve to know they’re appreciated. If there are strained relationships, now is a time to make amends.

Friends come and go throughout life. Some move away, and you might never hear from them again. Falling outs happen, but everyone has at least one person they can always count on outside of their family — and most have several. These are the people you can go to and talk with in times of need. People with whom you can hang out and never get tired of, even if it’s sitting and silently watching a movie. For people without siblings, best friends do double duty. Some people might find it a stretch to say they love their best friends, or even just good friends, but what would life be without them? They surround you and make life livable. Make sure they know it.

Romance is where love gets tricky and can mess with people’s minds and hearts. This love is a fine line. It can teeter on the edge of being just best friends or spiral into a lifelong partnership. You can have the strongest feelings for a person, always think about them, think they’re the most beautiful person inside and out, and for some reason, they just don’t have the same feelings toward you. It might be a while until you find a “one” who also thinks you’re “the one.” This category is tough. Don’t go throwing “I love you” around all willy-nilly; you’ll know when you’ve found someone you really love.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday you’re supposed to spend with your significant other. If you have one, great. Spend the day with them. If you don’t, spend time with friends, or take a single friend out so you both aren’t lonely. But for the rest of the week make sure you spread your love, and spend time with those you might not otherwise let know that you really appreciate them in your life.

Life is short. Time spent with loved ones is even shorter. Make sure they’re aware of your love.

Pat Evans is the State News opinion writer. Reach him at evanspa7@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Spend time with your loved ones this V-Day” on social media.