Friday, September 20, 2024

When opportunity knocks ...

Behind his work ethic and offensive firepower, Brett Perlini has made a name for himself

Sophomore forward Brett Perlini celebrates with Sparty before accepting his award of MVP of the Great Lakes Invitational at Joe Louis Arena on Dec. 30. The Spartans beat RPI 6-1 in the championship game, winning their 12th tournament title.

Brett Perlini had a chance to be the hero Saturday night.MSU head coach Rick Comley chose the sophomore forward to take the third, and final, shot in a shootout against Lake Superior State. With a goal, MSU would have earned the vital extra point in the conference standings. The moment Perlini stepped on the ice, the MSU bench was on its feet, with every Spartan banging his stick on the boards in encouragement for the team’s underdog. The crowd was into it, too, standing and cheering for a player foreign to many MSU fans.

At the sound of the whistle, Perlini skated at Lake Superior State goaltender Brian Mahoney-Wilson with speed, and went for a sly deke. But he was unable to convert his attempt.

Some may have been surprised with Comley’s choice in final shooter. But why not let Perlini have a crack at the game-winner?

He’s earned the trust of his teammates and he’s been one of the hottest Spartans of late, carrying a three-game point-scoring streak into Saturday’s game.

Perlini was inserted into the Spartans’ lineup on Dec. 12, due to an injury to freshman forward Anthony Hayes. Prior to that game, Perlini had played in only two games this season.

But Perlini made the most of his opportunity and caught fire in the Great Lakes Invitational, scoring three goals and recording two assists during the course of two games — his first points of the season. For his efforts, Perlini was named the GLI MVP in the Spartans’ tournament victory.

“I was just working to try and stay in the lineup, but a couple good bounces and here I am,” Perlini said when asked if he could have predicted bagging the biggest individual honor at the GLI. “I think the hard work has paid off and I’m looking to keep it going from here.”

Even though Hayes returned to the lineup this weekend, Perlini’s work ethic and hot hand has been enough for Comley to stick with the sophomore, who recorded only three points in 26 games last season.

“That’s what sports are all about, opportunities and taking advantage of them,” Comley said.

And with the way Perlini has taken advantage of limited opportunities this season, he’s making a strong case to be a mainstay in the Spartans’ starting lineup.

Offseason goals

Like many other Spartans who were a part of last year’s catastrophe of a season, Perlini stayed in East Lansing last summer.

His, and the team’s, mission was to bulk up and work on individual skills to prevent a repeat of last season’s meltdown.

Perlini put on 15 pounds of muscle, adding valuable strength which he said has drastically improved his game.

“Putting on the extra muscle really helped me out tremendously,” Perlini said. “I worked on my speed and shot and really elevated my game. I feel a lot stronger on the puck. It’s easier to win battles. Now I can find myself in that space to shoot the puck and create more chances for myself.”

Although Perlini improved his play offensively, Comley said he wasn’t sold on Perlini’s abilities in the defensive zone.

“We’ve always believed he has the offensive talent,” Comley said. “The biggest adjustment for him is learning to compete and play defensively. He’s gotten better at it, but if he was ready earlier he would have played earlier.”

While ice time was practically handed to anyone on last season’s team, Perlini knew he needed to improve defensively if he was going to crack the lineup this season — especially with an impressive class of freshmen coming in.

“I’ve been working hard on my defensive play, making sure pucks go out, forechecking, all the little things that tend to keep guys in the lineup,” Perlini said. “I’m just working hard trying to compete every shift.”

The result: A spot in the starting lineup when Hayes went down with an injury.

Unorthodox path

Through his childhood, Perlini bounced between homes in England and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.

Perlini’s father, Fred, played for the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs before heading overseas to continue his hockey career in Europe.

Perlini played most of his junior hockey in England, before moving to Sault Ste. Marie when he was 14 years old.

Although the leagues in Canada were much more competitive than those in England, Perlini said he developed his love for the game while overseas.

“I had to play up an age group when I was playing in England,” Perlini said. “But it was still good for my development. The neighborhood I lived in had all the pro hockey players around there. I always spent a lot of time with my dad focusing on my game and he helped me out in a lot of areas.”

Perlini was drafted by the Soo Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League when he was 16 years old.

Along with being drafted, Perlini also was being recruited by MSU, Denver and Boston University — leaving a tough decision on which route to take.

After visiting East Lansing, and seeing MSU bring home the 2007 national championship, Perlini decided to become a Spartan. Plus, MSU was close enough for his family to attend most games.

“When I recruited him I think people really wondered why,” Comley said. “He had to learn to play, as far as playing without the puck. Last year he got thrown into it when he wasn’t perhaps ready and struggled and you lose confidence. But he can shoot. He shoots the puck as well as anybody on our team. Hopefully this is just the beginning of his offensive career.”

Keep workin’

With Hayes returning from injury, it’s uncertain how long Perlini will stay in the starting lineup.

But if he continues to produce offensively, Comley said it would be tough to bench him.

Along with Perlini’s offensive hot streak, he’s been dominant from the faceoff dot, winning 33-of-49 faceoffs in his last six games, which includes MSU’s exhibition tilt against the U.S. National Under-18 Team.

Perlini’s work ethic has been obvious in practice.

“I think when you aren’t getting into the lineup, being one of the first guys on the ice and staying out there and working on a couple things will help you get going,” junior forward Corey Tropp said of Perlini. “Part of it is getting the opportunity, then when you get that opportunity you have to be able to perform. He’s worked really hard and he’s definitely deserving of everything with all the success he’s had.”

Said sophomore goaltender Drew Palmisano: “I can’t say enough about Perlini. He works hard every day. He didn’t get every break he deserves so far, then (the GLI) was a breakout weekend for him. Hopefully he can keep it up.”

Sure, Perlini was discouraged that he didn’t see much ice time the first half of the season.

But even if he does bounce in and out of the lineup during the second half of the year, he said he’s still going to walk into the rink the same way every day.

“I just kept working hard and kept fighting through and not getting down on the bad times,” Perlini said. “I’ve been trying to keep my confidence up and my belief up. It’s paying off now. I’ve just had that in the back of my mind the whole way through, just keep fighting for it. I knew this day would come.”

Share and discuss “When opportunity knocks ...” on social media.