Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Take advantage of MSU in new year

Pat Evans

As we’re now roughly past the first two weeks of 2010, New Year’s resolutions are in full force. Gyms are packed, cigarettes are being put out and money is being saved.

Those are all well and good, but it’s safe to assume most people won’t get a month or two into their resolutions before they return to their old way of life. This isn’t a new occurrence, and in response, I’ve made a resolution that doesn’t necessitate living the same way the entire year. I encourage others to follow on the same path.

We’re now getting settled into the schedule we will follow for the next four months and it’s important to look at how this semester will affect us. Whether you’re a 4.0 student or someone who barely gets by, it’s best for you to get the most out of college and the cultural activities all around us on campus.

My main problem in the past was consistently getting class readings done. It has yet to affect my grade-point average, but I thought, “What extra things have I missed by not reading?” In my three completed semesters, I’ve gone two without buying a single book. I’ve started this semester by buying most of my books and intend to fully read every assignment. But what I want everyone to think about extends a little further outside of school buildings.

In a recent discussion with a close friend of mine, we determined it isn’t just academics that make MSU such a special place. Although a student can come away with a valued education, that education doesn’t rely solely on the teachings in a classroom. Many of the important things to be learned are done outside class hours, but they are severely hampered by one thing — alcohol.

Obviously, for many students, alcohol and partying are a major standout point to the college experience. It’s an understandable part of college life in modern times. But to what extent do students abuse alcohol and allow it to ruin some of the finer parts of the college life?

Like many students, I, too, have overlooked many of the cultural elements that can make this a great community and be used as an educational experience.

Last semester I had two classes that raised my awareness of some of the extras this university provides. For my ISB class, I was required to visit the MSU Museum to complete several worksheets. The place is much like any other museum and most likely not visited in many students’ tenures here, but I’ve always been a sucker for museums and it should garner at least a walkthrough.

For my Visions of the Universe lab, we met in Abrams Planetarium every week and were reminded of the weekend planetary showings. Again, just a visit could help earn a little more bang for your buck and add even a tiny bit of information in the noggin. Also, there are often open houses at the telescope just south of campus and although I haven’t gone to one as of yet, I fully plan to at some point in my time here.

Obviously these things can be done during the day, even in a few hours, but too often people spend Saturdays and Sundays bobbing around in a comatose state from the night before. I’m not suggesting to take every night off of binge drinking, only to consider cutting back to allow for a more fulfilling college experience.

You might often find yourself at a kegger, perhaps even the slightest bit tipsy, listening to horrible music. You might find yourself enjoying it, bobbing your head. But I’d like to point out that there are local bands making truly amazing music that often go unnoticed and underappreciated. Why not head out to The Small Planet, 16800 Chandler Road, on Friday night? You could take a listen to former MSU staples and platinum recording artists, The Verve Pipe. I myself made a trip to see them as a Sober Sally during break and found myself so amazed at the live show put on that I fully intend to see them again, at the same venue, this weekend.

All I’m saying is you should experience some of them and take a second look the next time you overindulge and say things you might not mean and not remember things you might want to in the future.

Sure — life can be extremely stressful during the week and might make alcohol a tempting escape, but at what cost? I’m not asking you to stop; many of us get the urge to rage every once and a while. All I’m asking is to take a second thought the next time you’re looking for something to do, and do it without the booze. You might just find yourself remembering what happened, the people you meet and appreciating the things you do and say a little bit better, resulting in a more complete college life.

Pat Evans is the State News opinion writer. Reach him at evanspa7@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Take advantage of MSU in new year” on social media.