Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Partisanship has no place in Haiti crisis

McKown

More than a week has passed since disaster struck Haiti and its people. International aid has poured in from even some of the poorest countries to provide relief. Extensive coverage of the earthquake’s damage has shown us the true devastation the Haitian people are facing.

It is estimated that almost 200,000 people have been killed since the earthquake ravished Haiti last week. The heart-wrenching images streaming in from international media make it difficult for even the biggest cynic to refrain from some kind of contribution.

Americans overwhelmingly have responded to the crisis, acting as any neighbor should in a similar situation. The American Red Cross organized a text messaging campaign that has thus far raised more than $22 million toward relief efforts by allowing cell phone users to text to 90999 and donate $10 to the cause. Google will be providing Google Voice services free for those calling out to Haiti throughout the next few weeks to help families reconnect after the earthquake.

President Barack Obama approved the deployment of thousands of U.S. troops to Haiti to aid in the efforts. And even former presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton are getting along. The two have coordinated the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund at the request of Obama to raise awareness, funding and needed supplies for the Haitian relief operation.

Naively, I hoped politics wouldn’t play a part in relief efforts, at least not in a truly blatant fashion that would distract from the real issue at hand. Haitians lay trapped for days beneath collapsed buildings with nothing to eat, drink or wear. Families were torn apart, children left abandoned to wander the streets. No matter where our party affiliations lie, surely blue and red politics aren’t relevant in discussions on Haiti.

Unless you’re Rush Limbaugh.

The conservative radio personality addressed Obama’s efforts in Haiti last Wednesday by saying, “This will play right into Obama’s hands. He’s humanitarian, compassionate. They’ll use this to burnish their, shall we say, ‘credibility’ with the black community — in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It’s made-to-order for them. That’s why he couldn’t wait to get out there, could not wait to get out there.”

Although I am thoroughly impressed with Limbaugh’s expert capability to somehow negatively spin words such as “humanitarian” and “compassionate,” I am not nearly as impressed with his lack of both qualities.

Politics certainly have a part to play in the Haiti crisis — this is an indisputable fact. International actors providing relief to Haiti have bickered over actions taken there, especially in terms of military presence.

Regardless, to insinuate that Obama is excited about the prospects of positive influence on the opinion polls at the expense of hundreds of thousands of Haitian lives is absurd. I can’t quite picture Obama breaking into a victory dance upon hearing the news and I’m sure balloons and streamers weren’t ordered to deck out the Oval Office. Any president of the United States would respond directly to a crisis such as Haiti — it’s part of their job.

You’re right, Mr. Limbaugh, Obama couldn’t wait “to get out there” and neither could millions of people across the globe. Limbaugh’s comments not only are completely ludicrous, but disrespectful to the Haitian community that has suffered beyond belief and will continue to struggle in the coming years. This is not to mention that through these statements, he belittles the efforts of every volunteer, nonprofit organization and country reaching out to Haiti in its time of need.

Most importantly, Haiti finally is getting the international attention that it desperately needs, regardless of pursuit of self-interest. Lives are being saved; food, water, clothing and shelter are being provided to those who need it most. Motives don’t matter much when there are basic needs to be provided.

The earthquake in Haiti was an uncontrollable event. It wasn’t “made-to-order” for anyone … unless Limbaugh is tuning in to Pat Robertson’s “pacts with the devil.”

Limbaugh only furthers the image of self-centered, self-important Americans by making the debate a national one. American politics don’t have a place in the “here and now” of the Haiti crisis. The earthquake in Haiti has affected the entire global community. Trying to draw attention to intrastate conflicts is not only irrelevant at this time, it’s obnoxious.

Regardless of the fact that Limbaugh serves as much more of an entertainer than he does any kind of journalist, he should really keep his political “jokes” to himself during a time in which our neighbors are suffering an unimaginable nightmare.

Lauren McKown is a State News intern. Reach her at mckownl1@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Partisanship has no place in Haiti crisis” on social media.