Tuesday, October 22, 2024

MSU's defensive struggles led to team's demise

Redshirt sophomore Keith Nichol runs into the end zone for a touchdown in the third quarter of MSU’s 41-31 loss to Texas Tech in the Valero Alamo Bowl earlier this month.

Any way you cut it, the 2009 MSU football season was a disappointment.

Although it produced some memorable moments that won’t soon be forgotten, what remains etched in stone forever is the team’s 6-7 record.

Following a nine-win campaign in 2008, great things were expected from the Spartans in 2009. The experienced defense was expected to carry the inexperienced offense to another New Year’s Day bowl game. The team was to continue its progression to the top of the Big Ten.

Instead, nearly everything played out opposite of what was expected.

The offense took charge while the defense powdered out at both the beginning and end of the season. The team rebounded from a 1-3 start to make its third straight bowl game, but the off-field actions of several players resulted in suspensions and significantly dimmed MSU’s chances in the Valero Alamo Bowl, which turned into a 41-31 loss to Texas Tech.

But what is so unbelievable about this season is the struggles of the defense. It’s been written about many times, but it becomes even more startling when the numbers are examined.

Defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi’s squad gave up more than 500 yards in four of the season’s last five games. Let’s say it again — MSU gave up more than 500 yards in four of its last five games. And the only time the Spartans didn’t do so during that span was against Mid-American Conference patsy Western Michigan. Against offensively hapless Minnesota, the term “wheel route” became MSU fans’ worst nightmare, as that play helped the Golden Gophers to 42 points. To put that in perspective, Minnesota scored 29 total points in its final three games of the season.

Then against Purdue, the Spartans caught some breaks and won despite allowing 524 yards and 37 points. The regular season finale against Penn State was another defensive debacle — 512 yards, 42 points.

But the “best” was saved for last. With several weeks to prepare for Texas Tech’s high-powered offense in the Alamo Bowl, the defense got taken behind the woodshed in all aspects, allowing 460 yards through the air, 579 total yards and 41 points to the Red Raiders.

It almost was like no adjustments were being made. The same plays worked time and time and time again. Then, when the defense had the chance to get the ball back to the offense when Texas Tech went for it on fourth down — twice, no less — it was a microcosm of the season — defensive failure.

And defensive failure is what will define the 2009 season. The Spartans allowed 176 points during the final five games. Although the offense was good, if not great, enough to win each Saturday, the defense didn’t hold up its end of the bargain.

When under fire during the season, Narduzzi said the players needed to make plays. The schemes, he noted, were sound. But if the schemes are sound and the team is still giving up in excess of 500 yards, doesn’t that fall on the coaching staff to make sure the players are doing what they need to be doing on the field?

Yes, as Narduzzi says, the players do need to make plays and he wasn’t responsible for some of the horrendous tackling we saw this season, but the coaching staff needs to be accountable for the results on the field.

Now, everybody’s definition of accountability varies, but something needs to be done. I’m not saying to bring out the firing squad at this moment, but one more season like this and heads need to roll.

For now, things need to be re-evaluated because what we saw this season was an abomination and absolutely cannot happen again if MSU hopes to reach the top of the Big Ten.

Although it’s turned into a cliché lately, defense really does win championships. Ohio State gave up 58 points in its last five games. Iowa 82. Again, MSU allowed 176.

This season certainly was a step back in all respects. But what the team does in 2010 will dictate where this program is headed. So far, the Mark Dantonio era has been two steps forward, one step back.

The program cannot afford another mediocre year in 2010 or it might risk finding itself right near where it started in 2007.

Matt Bishop covered the 2010 Valero Alamo Bowl. He can be reached at bishop20@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “MSU's defensive struggles led to team's demise” on social media.