Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Local businesses need help to thrive

Pat Evans

There were times even in the summer when I heard whispers that the local restaurant Brother’s Grill might be closing its doors. But when the doors to the restaurant closed last week, it became clear to me that yet another independently owned business went down.
This closure of Brother’s, 403 E. Grand River Ave., might not be permanent. There is yet to be official word it is gone for good, but this is just another case of how important it is to support local businesses.

Students should focus their money and consumer habits toward local businesses, if only to develop background stories and memories similar to those I fostered with Brother’s Grill. You can walk into a McDonald’s anywhere in the world and get the same experience, but little niche spots such as Brother’s are part of what makes life special.

It’s quite sad for me to see another local business fail and turn into an empty storefront on Grand River Avenue. I’m only a sophomore, and I might not have seen quite as many stores go out of business as some older students, but Brother’s is one eatery I’ve personally seen grow into an East Lansing and MSU favorite.

Not only was I a student here to see the once-beloved Big Ten Burrito end a run of MSU burrito stardom, I also was fortunate enough to bear witness to the infancy and rise of Brother’s Grill. But not only did I see it, I personally covered it. While working for The State News as the business reporter, I wrote two articles on Brother’s: one before it opened in December of 2008 and another for its grand opening in January 2009.

The owner, Eric Gunn, was putting his blood, sweat and tears into the building when I first knocked on the door that December. He let me in and talked to me for an hour on a dust-covered seat about his dreams to be the next great East Lansing staple.

Then a few weeks later, when back from break, I went to do the next story, I walked in, and he remembered my name from the previous encounter. The dreams were there, the homemade food was there and the customers were coming to him. After only a few meals at Brother’s, I was captivated by the homemade family atmosphere Gunn had created.

Friends and I went to eat there multiple times a week, whether it was to satisfy our burger craving or to try one of the amazing weekly specials they offered. They knew not just my name, but the names of most of the people who ate there. Gunn and the employees knew many of the others because it turned into one of those places that deserved regulars.

The place had all the makings to be a longtime favorite of the MSU community: a friendly owner who was there the majority of the time, a ridiculously simple yet tasty menu and timely service that made it easy for people to get in and out. I can’t really think of another restaurant similar in the area — perhaps The Peanut Barrel Restaurant, 521 E. Grand River Ave., or Lou and Harry’s, 245 Ann St. — but they don’t feel the same, at least to me. Sure, there are many restaurants that students love, but are they ones where the employees know your name or aren’t chains?

Maybe it’s a personal feeling of mine because I’ve grown as a student with the restaurant, but I can’t think of one person I know who didn’t like it.

A very similar closing happened last spring, when Flats Grille, 551 E. Grand River Ave., went out of business. I covered that, too, and it wasn’t as shocking or upsetting to me as this one. I certainly didn’t have the same memories, but some students had the same sort of connections that make supporting a local business worth it.

One thing is for sure — I hope Gunn finds a way to save this venture or start another. If not, I’ll be sad that I can’t play football in the alley behind work again and have a chance to throw the ball to Dave, an employee who also worked at BTB, while he drives down the alley in his Pontiac.

There still is a sliver of hope Brother’s will open back up, but for now, the whole situation is sad. It was sad when it happened a few other times, with Flats and BTB, but some of us at MSU now are young enough that the connections with those weren’t as strong. This closure, for me, is almost like losing a loved one. I might wish for more, but perhaps I should just be happy with the year of memories and deliciousness they gave me.

Pat Evans is the State News opinion writer. Reach him at evanspa7@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Local businesses need help to thrive” on social media.