Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Backup QB Nichol shows versatility in loss

Sophomore records two catches, one rushing TD

Freshman running back Edwin Baker runs the ball through a hole in the Red Raider defense. The Spartans rushed for 148 yards Saturday night at the Valero Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. Josh Radtke/The State News

San Antonio — The biggest story in terms of something that would happen on the field heading into the Valero Alamo Bowl turned out to be sophomore quarterback Keith Nichol moving to receiver for the game.

Nichol finished the game with two receptions for 10 yards and sprung sophomore receiver Keshawn Martin for some extra yards with a big block in the first quarter.

Wearing receiver gloves, Nichol took a snap in the Wildcat formation early in the third quarter and gave MSU its first lead of the game, 21-20, with a 7-yard touchdown run, the first of his career.

Nichol said he had fun playing at receiver.

“I feel like I contributed in a lot of things,” Nichol said. “Block, catch, run. It was a fun game. I felt like I had a leadership role. I was enthusiastic, trying to pick guys up.”

Earlier in the week, MSU head coach Mark Dantonio compared Nichol to a “bigger, stronger, faster” version of senior receiver Blair White. Nichol’s adaptation to the position opens up an interesting scenario for spring practice.

“Now I see myself competing at two positions,” Nichol said. “(Offensive coordinator Don) Treadwell was happy with the way I was doing things. I’ve never played receiver before in my life. … I’m going to train to be the best athlete I can be.”

Four months ago, Nichol was competing with sophomore quarterback Kirk Cousins for the starting quarterback job. Now, Cousins is throwing to him.

“He did a phenomenal job filling in when we needed him,” Cousins said. “You saw him at wide receiver, he lined up at quarterback and he just did whatever he needed to do to help the team. His attitude and effort through the six weeks of bowl practices were second to none. He did a great job not only tonight, but in his prepartion and attitude the whole way through the process.”

Getting tricky
The Spartans opened up the playbook against Texas Tech more than in any game this season.

MSU pulled out new formations, ran the Wildcat formation, tried a Flea flicker and attempted a fake field goal for the first time this season, a play which turned into an 18-yard completion from junior punter Aaron Bates to junior tight end Charlie Gantt.

“I think in a bowl game you want to give your guys a chance to win,” Dantonio said. “The fake field goal was a big play but I thought the timing was right.

“Bates made a great play. We had some other things going but we left some in the bag that we didn’t call.”

Bates said Dantonio saw the play would be open after MSU’s first field goal attempt, a 52-yard attempt by senior kicker Brett Swenson that was blocked.

“We’ve practiced it for the last two years,” Bates said. “We’ve been waiting to use it, waiting to use it and haven’t gotten the right opportunity. Today we got it and they read it pretty well, but Charlie made a great adjustment.”

Last call
Senior cornerback Ross Weaver played his final game as a Spartan on Saturday and responded, setting a career high with nine tackles and added an interception and a forced fumble.

“Ross played a great game today,” junior linebacker Greg Jones said. “I love him very much. I feel like he’s been a great leader on and off the field. He’s a great guy, so I wish the best for him and he had a great game today.”

Share and discuss “Backup QB Nichol shows versatility in loss” on social media.