Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Aiding poor must be constant effort

Pat Evans

I wrote a column in December encouraging students to continue the holiday cheer and spirit throughout the year. And as we’re coming to the bitter end of January, I have to say I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the kindness I’ve been greeted with during the new year. The amount of help I’ve seen students — and others across the nation — offer Haitians after the recent earthquake also is impressive.

Seeing the amount of relief being sent to the area is great, and I surely do hope it continues to help the country recover to its fullest. But there is a lesson to be learned from this situation.

It took a massive disaster to bring attention to an island nation that already was in a heap of trouble. Nearly 200,000 Haitians died, and my column isn’t meant to take away from the heartbreak, but how many deaths could have been prevented had a solid support system already been in place for the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere?

It’s too late to save those who have perished. Those who survived are receiving greatly needed supplies, but now let us — as students and citizens — make sure this is continued until the country is in a better situation than it was before.

The last thing I want to see is people stop helping Haiti. But once the situation improves, I’d like to see those who are capable and were willing to help Haiti continue to help elsewhere.

If you donated to Haiti, you know how good it felt to make some sort of difference. If you have the means and it gives you a feeling that often is hard to come by, why isn’t donating — even a little — a priority on a daily or weekly basis?

Help is needed across the globe, even in our own backyard, when disaster strikes. The recent severe flooding in California has been overshadowed by the more severe situation in Haiti, but similar heartbreak is being felt by the thousands of families who are homeless in the Golden State.

Disasters strike multiple places every year and for a few weeks, sometimes months, we rally to help those who are in need. Then, a majority of people tend to forget and go on living normal lives, while those suffering are nowhere close to what their lives once were.

If we help the people in the United States who suffer and don’t require quite as much help as other countries, think about the possibilities our nation could then provide.

Some people — especially students — often find themselves thinking they aren’t capable of helping others on a regular basis. What about the coin jar that gets filled to the brim every year? Or the unexpected dollar you find in the pocket of a jacket? Turn them in to a charity.

Give blood every two months. Sure, you might be afraid of needles, but fainting for a few moments sounds like it’s worth saving a life, doesn’t it?

Money and time certainly aren’t easy things to come by as a student, and nearly all charitable donations require at least one of the two.

But whether it’s the change jar or a dollar from every paycheck, money that isn’t normally noticed isn’t hard to come by. When buying groceries, add an extra canned good for the can drives that pop up every so often.

There are trouble spots throughout the country that could be helped very easily. Every state has at least one inner-city area that could use help. Yes, it’s great to be a good neighbor, but shouldn’t our own country be in the best shape it can?

It is important to realize that no matter where you are, heartbreak and suffering are the same as somewhere else. It shouldn’t take a disaster to want to help people who are suffering.

Just taking a moment of your time every once in a while is something some students do now — greek organizations, Alternative Spring Break and some individuals on their own — to better the world and make themselves feel great.

Helping others is one of the best feelings in the world, and it doesn’t come from donating solely to those affected by a catastrophe. It can come from helping out someone in your neighborhood. I got the feeling last Friday after I gave blood and wish I could do it again before March.

It will take a while to fix Haiti, and relief is needed for years to come. We should use it as a springboard, and make sure problems in America are fixed to the fullest.

Then, instead of going about our lives, we should continue to help those who suffer, especially in our own backyard. I assure you the emotions you’ll feel will be worth it.

Pat Evans is the State News opinion writer. Reach him at evanspa7@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Aiding poor must be constant effort” on social media.