Monday, June 17, 2024

Knowing self key to relationships

Lauren Wood

I am a single young woman, and I am not looking for a relationship. After recently ending a relationship, I wanted some time to myself, but the relationship drama has not stopped following me around. I can’t seem to get away from it, and it isn’t all mine.

I feel that for some reason, this time of year has been rocky for people around campus. My friend was dating this guy who broke up with her out of the blue. Another girl I overheard at the library got stood up by a guy she thought was interested in her. A guy friend asked me for advice, wondering if a girl he has been talking to likes him in return.

This made me take a step back and look at what being single really means. Our generation has created so many definitions for terms like “hooking up” that the words single and dating have become ambiguous. Two people could be seeing each other, mutually exclusive, Facebook official or in a serious relationship and all of these fall under the dating umbrella. On the other hand, you could be single but still talking to someone and hanging out with them.

My mom and I had a laugh the other day because dating to me is hanging out with someone, while she said dating is where you call someone up and actually go out to dinner or to the movies. The line between single and dating definitely has been blurred.

When Drew Pinsky came to campus last week, I thought more people should have attended. He talked about relationships and how each gender usually acts in them, and there was a lot to learn.

He started by saying men are very simple creatures. Since I am not one, I cannot support or deny this, but as a woman, I still am waiting to see the truth in this. If they are so simple, then why does it take so long for women to figure them out, if they even do at all? For example, when you text a guy a straightforward question, why do they answer with the most vague responses? Men probably will always remain a mystery to me.

Dr. Drew also noted that men think in the moment, and not much further. Now, I’ve seen this firsthand, as well as many times through my friends. Guys, next time you actually want to date someone, make the effort to get to know them before trying to go any further, or it won’t go anywhere.

Women, unlike their male counterparts, are the ones who make things complicated, according to Dr. Drew. We want to build an emotional connection before proceeding into dating, which is completely understandable. Women need to know what a guy is like before they agree to be someone’s girlfriend, and so they know the long-term feelings are mutual. Dr. Drew also spoke of how women read too much into things. As much as I don’t like to admit, this is very true, at least of myself and other people I know. Women love to get together and talk about why men did this, or why that happened in a relationship. It gives us peace of mind when someone else helps to analyze male behavior, even if he or she might not be right.

Even better is when a women’s guy friend tries to decipher the hidden meaning in another guy’s actions. I spent a whole dinner conversation talking to my guy friend about relationships, and it was pretty unbiased and an interesting look at things. It made me see situations in a different light.

He also brought up examples that broke the male and female stereotypes. He said one guy friend of his was talking to a woman, and she invited him to a party. He showed up, and the girl blew him off, but texted him the next day. I would normally expect this behavior from a guy.

He also said he and his friends think carefully about their texts or Facebook responses, because they are not sure how women will respond. But he agreed with Dr. Drew on one thing: Men are the simple ones.

Dr. Drew went on to mention the different kinds of relationships that generally are found on college campuses. The hookup is usually a one-time deal, and almost always includes alcohol. Friends with benefits never works because someone gets emotionally attached and ends up getting hurt. Then there is the head over heels couple that just started dating, and everyone who isn’t in a relationship can’t stand. And then there is everyone else who falls anywhere between the single and dating categories.

I think being single can be good for someone to step back from all the confusing relationship business and take time to figure themselves out instead.

One thing is for sure, you must have a good relationship with yourself before you have a successful one with someone else.

Lauren Wood is a State News guest columnist and journalism junior. Reach her at woodlau2@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Knowing self key to relationships” on social media.