Sunday, May 19, 2024

Tough Spartans show character through injuries

Cash Kruth

After the MSU women’s soccer team beat Penn State 3-2 on Sept. 27 at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field, I made my way to the field from the press box to conduct interviews.

As I was waiting for head coach Tom Saxton and a couple of players, I heard my name called from the MSU bench.

“Hey, Cash Kruth from The State News,” junior midfielder Cara Freeman shouted. “We won.”

Instantly, I knew what Freeman was talking about. Two days earlier in our Big Ten Preview section, I predicted the Spartans would lose to the Nittany Lions in the Big Ten opener — the main reason because MSU had to play without senior forward Lauren Hill, who drew two yellow cards in the previous game.

After I was done talking with Saxton, I walked out of DeMartin Stadium with Freeman, who gave me all the reasons I should have picked the Spartans to win that game. MSU basically had the same team that beat the Nittany Lions 3-1 the year before. It was on its home turf where, at that time, the Spartans had a 16-match unbeaten streak. And the Spartans were a team that didn’t rely on just one player.

With the women’s soccer team’s season now done after a 1-0 overtime loss Friday to Santa Clara, that last statement is the defining characteristic of this year’s Spartans.

MSU came into the season with high hopes after going 14-7-3 in 2008 and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, before losing to No. 1 Notre Dame. The Spartans, returning all but one starter, were picked to finish second in the Big Ten.

Then the injuries hit.

Senior midfielder Kate Rehor tore her anterior cruciate ligament Sept. 3. Fellow senior midfielder Lauren Sinacola suffered the same injury against the Nittany Lions. In late October, it was freshman midfielder Jordan Mueller’s turn. Then, sophomore forward Laura Heyboer broke her left leg Oct. 25 against Minnesota — while scoring the game-winning goal no less.

But through it all the remaining Spartans never quit. Sure, they battled through a rough stretch — going 2-4-2 in October — but they bounced back to beat Iowa in overtime on Nov. 1, before beating Ohio State in a win-or-go-home scenario that all but secured their second straight NCAA Tournament bid.

“A lot of our key players are missing, but we still pulled it off,” Hill said the night the Spartans made the tournament. “That says a lot about each and every one of our characters, no matter if we’re on the field or off.”

And while the Spartans didn’t end their season with a win, they did display their season-defining character.

Not only did they take one of the most storied programs in collegiate women’s soccer history to overtime, but they were right with Santa Clara despite being heavily outshot.

The Broncos outshot MSU 29-3, including a first half which saw MSU record zero shots. Still, sophomore goalkeeper Jill Flietstra stepped up to the challenge — posting nine saves — before an Anessa Patton goal 1:08 into overtime finally ended MSU’s season.

MSU should feel bad after ending its season with a loss. It’s human nature.

But even though the women’s soccer team is just three days removed from its season-ending loss, they need to remember all they’ve overcome.

“I definitely think throughout this season we’ve proved that we can play with anybody, regardless who is on the field — that we have the heart, determination to make things happen,” senior defender Megan Brown said after the NCAA Tournament Selection Show. “We’ve had players step up and show that we’re not a few big names — that we’re a team full of players, and by playing together that’s how we’re successful.”

And despite the injuries and setbacks that inhibited the women’s soccer team from achieving some of their goals this season, the Spartans’ season can indeed be described as a success.

Cash Kruth is The State News sports administration reporter. He can be reached at kruthcas@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Tough Spartans show character through injuries” on social media.