Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Leggett has career day as Spartans trounce Broncos 49-14

Sophomore running back Ashton Leggett smiles shortly before a television interview after the Spartans’ 49-14 victory over Western Michigan at Spartan Stadium. The infrequently used Leggett had a career-high four touchdowns and 110 yards on 14 carries.

Ashton Leggett had seven career carries entering Saturday’s game against Western Michigan, only one of those coming this season.

With his first carry Saturday on MSU’s third play from scrimmage, Leggett made it known that he is a factor in MSU’s running back rotation, bouncing to the left side and running 71 yards for a touchdown.

By the end of the half, Leggett had more carries (eight), yards (100) and touchdowns (four) than he had in his entire career entering the game.

“It will give him momentum to come into next week’s game and certainly be a factor in that football game,” MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said. “That is a positive for Ashton Leggett and I am very happy for him because it’s challenging when you are behind in the depth chart and you want to play. It’s patience and, in part, your maturity level of growing up.”

After a good spring, Leggett appeared to be the No. 1 man, but it didn’t work out that way. The sophomore waited his turn and got the opportunity to play when freshman Larry Caper couldn’t go because of a concussion.

“The coaches, they have to make decisions that they feel are best for the team and at that moment, it wasn’t me,” Leggett said. “So I just had to stay patient and wait my turn.”

Two weeks ago, Leggett was the scout team running back.

Saturday against the Broncos, he carried the ball 14 times for 110 yards and touchdowns of 71, two, one and 13 yards.

The sophomore also added two receptions out of the backfield for 10 yards.

“I can’t say enough about Ashton’s journey,” sophomore quarterback Kirk Cousins said. “I told him, ‘Ashton, the cream always rises to the top; you just keep working.’ And he did that and, obviously, today was a good day. I told him to stay humble and hungry. He’s got plenty of more good days coming.”

Cure for the goal line blues

Leggett also was the catalyst for MSU’s goal line success Saturday, getting into the end zone on two short runs after the Spartans failed to score a touchdown in goal line situations in four straight games.

“For the whole season, we haven’t been too good on goal line … but this week in practice, we made it an emphasis that when we get down on that goal line, we’re going to punch it in with the run,” Leggett said. “So we just had that mind frame that when we got down there we were going to punch it in.”

Dantonio said it was good to get over the mental hurdle and put one in.

“We’ll continue to push it,” he said.

Safety help

Sophomore safety Trenton Robinson returned to the lineup after missing two games after injuring his ankle during a kick return against Northwestern. He started at free safety and recorded one tackle in the game.

“This was a big day to see if my ankle was good and if I could come back and help the team,” Robinson said.

Robinson said it was “devastating” not to be able to help the team while he was injured.

“It felt good to be back today,” Robinson said.

MSU was missing both senior safety Danny Fortener and junior safety Marcus Hyde because of injuries, making Robinson’s return critical for this game. Senior Kendell Davis-Clark joined Robinson as the starting safeties for Saturday’s game.

Defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi said both Fortener and Hyde will return next week against Purdue.

Share and discuss “Leggett has career day as Spartans trounce Broncos 49-14” on social media.