Tuesday, October 22, 2024

7 Big Ten teams likely to play in postseason games

Although the Big Ten season is over, most of the conference’s bowl bids still are up in the air.

Ohio State’s trip to the Rose Bowl is the only guarantee. Penn State and Iowa have shots at BCS at-large bids and MSU could move ahead of other Big Ten teams based on fan base.

If Texas loses and doesn’t make it to the BCS National Championship, that could throw a wrench into things. But here are current Big Ten bowl projections.

Rose Bowl: Ohio State

The Buckeyes cliched the outright Big Ten title with their victory against Michigan and their first Rose Bowl berth since 1996 is all but guaranteed. For as bad as the Big Ten was this season, Ohio State truly was the conference’s best team and will be the best representative for the Big Ten in Pasadena, Calif. With USC not heading to the Rose Bowl, the Big Ten might finally have a shot to win one.

Fiesta Bowl: Penn State

Although the Nittany Lions lost to Iowa at home, they are a better choice for an at-large BCS bid. Both teams travel well, but Penn State has the best chance to keep a game competitive.

The Nittany Lions could be playing Boise State, so they’d better keep the game close, or the Big Ten’s already damaged reputation could be completely destroyed.

Capital One Bowl: Iowa

Ricky Stanzi could be back for the game, but it might not make much of a difference against a tough SEC opponent. Yes, the Hawkeyes defeated an SEC team last season, but that was behind All-American running back Shonn Greene.

Outback Bowl: Wisconsin

Even with the loss to Northwestern, Wisconsin won’t shift in the projections. They’re still outside the top three in the conference, but well ahead of the bottom three. The Badgers always have performed well in bowl games and it will be important they play their best ball if they meet an SEC team.

Champs Sports Bowl: Northwestern

Northwestern’s victory against Wisconsin didn’t propel them up, but it separated them from MSU and Minnesota. The Wildcats were able to feast on weak nonconference opponents, but they still finished with a 5-3 Big Ten record. The Wildcats don’t travel well, but they have to be taken ahead of MSU because they have two more victories.

Alamo Bowl: MSU

The Spartans’ loss against Penn State neither hurt nor helped them. The convincing loss very likely propelled the Nittany Lions into the BCS, which slides each Big Ten team up. Minnesota beat MSU, but the Spartans will bring a lot more fans and money to San Antonio. It will be the first time since 1995-97 that the Spartans go to three consecutive bowls, which is quite an accomplishment.

Insight Bowl: Minnesota

Some Gopher fans want to see a new coach, but Tim Brewster has gotten Minnesota to consecutive bowls, which can’t be undervalued. The Gophers went to Tempe, Ariz., last season but lost to Kansas. The only way the Gophers jump the Spartans will be if the bowl cuts a deal to send the Gophers to Alamo Bowl. If the Big Ten gets two BCS teams, that will leave no Big Ten team left for the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl.

Share and discuss “7 Big Ten teams likely to play in postseason games” on social media.