Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Reality fame fever weakens culture

Justin Covington

The world collectively held its breath for hours as we watched a balloon fly across the Colorado sky. Cable news channels quickly got in touch with balloon experts to find out what the possibility of young Falcon Henne being on board the UFO-like aircraft.

Once the balloon crashed, people became more terrified as the deflated balloon was empty. As it turns out, Falcon supposedly was hiding from punishment from his dad.

The whole event would have gone off without a hitch, if not for that pesky kid and his loose tongue. During an interview, Falcon claimed “they did it for the show.” Later, police ruled the whole event a hoax. Loose lips do sink airships.

The Hennes were no strangers to television, having appeared on the ABC reality show “Wife Swap.” It also has been reported that the Hennes unsuccessfully pitched a reality show based on their lives to TLC. The balloon stunt was a way for the Hennes to show just how wacky they are.

After the news of it being a hoax came out, people were outraged. How could someone play with the heartstrings of Americans just for a reality show?

In all honesty, the Hennes represent a change in American culture. The American dream involves achieving your ideal life. For Richard and Mayumi Henne, this was the path they likely chose, despite its unbelievable nature.

Contemporary society rewards standing out in some way — be it as a YouTube celebrity or a reality TV star. There is a reason you see people who were on “The Real World” years ago embarrassing themselves on national television. People like the power, fame and money that come with national recognition, no matter how fleeting all three might be.

In a way, I cannot fault them. People who choose to continually be on different reality shows are just making money in a very easy way. I’d love the chance to win $100,000 by solving a puzzle or climbing a rock wall.

However, I do have a problem with the new breed of wannabe stars dominating headlines.

Jon and Kate Gosselin of “Jon and Kate Plus 8” fame have been all over the news. Their marriage and life of raising eight kids was made public on a television show. Their relationship problems made even bigger news.

Although it is fine for two consenting adults to play up drama to entertainment shows and tabloid magazines, I’m left to ask: What about the children?

The main reason a typical viewer would care about Jon or Kate is because of their situation raising eight kids.

Imagine how life will be for these kids when they get older. Their whole lives practically have been documented in some form or another. Not because they are a singing group such as the Jacksons or the Osmonds, but because they just happened to be born in an age where a child — or eight — can be a ticket to television contracts, exclusive news interviews and book deals.

The opportunistic exploitation of children to get money is sad, but what is worse is that the possibility exists. The Hennes and Gosselins are just fitting into a market that consumer demand has created. Our society loves to watch the drama of others play out.

These families’ problems serve as national discussion pieces about how children should be raised. This minor usefulness does not forgive the blatant use of children as reasons to become famous.

So if you’re thinking that degree you’re working toward won’t get a job, at least try to do something creative in achieving your fame. Film your cat playing a piano or something.

Whatever you do, please don’t pretend your son possibly is flying through the sky. It is kind of a bad move.

Justin Covington is a State News guest columnist and a political science junior. Reach him at coving27@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Reality fame fever weakens culture” on social media.