Sunday, May 26, 2024

Public should give Obama time

Justin Covington

No. A word repeated during a “Saturday Night Live” sketch that spoofed President Barack Obama’s failure to deliver on key campaign promises.

Similar sentiments were echoed Friday when Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

In a general sense, the criticisms are true. The Obama administration has yet to close Guantanamo Bay, end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and ensure that all Americans have affordable access to health care. He didn’t even convince the International Olympic Committee to hold the 2016 Olympics in his adopted hometown.

Obama’s perceived weakness in his first year as president is because of multiple factors.

In general, liberals are seen as less firm in their decision making than conservatives, especially when comparing Obama’s first year to former President George W. Bush’s first year.

Both had major crises to deal with. Bush had the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks while Obama has the financial meltdown.

Traditionally, during a crisis, a scared populace looks to a single person, not 538 legislators or nine supreme court justices, for inspiration. Leaders use the momentum of a crisis to change government policy in ways that would not change normally. Who in their right mind would vote against something called the Patriot Act in the wake of the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil since the Pearl Harbor bombings? (Answer: 66 congressmen and one senator).

The point is that a leader must know how to use the extra political capital afforded during a crisis effectively. Obama did not take full advantage of the economic crisis, but he did not waste it either.

It can be argued that the policies of the current administration prevented the full collapse of the financial system due to the large stimulus bill and a philosophy more focused on regulation than simply trusting in the free market.

Obama also has worked hard to build support for America abroad. His efforts have resulted in him being the first American president to chair the United Nations Security Council.

Unfortunately, by choosing to go straight from dealing with the financial crisis to health care reform, he has allowed a wave of negative opinion to build.

The tea party protests and “Obama is a secret (fill-in-the-blank)” movements, while not representative of the entire conservative movement, have been a vocal minority.

This bad will has manifested and grown from small, sporadic events to Republican Rep. Joe Wilson’s famous “you lie!” outburst during Obama’s health care address to Congress and Glenn Beck’s Sept. 12 rally and protests in Washington, D.C.

The most interesting thing about the Sept. 12 protests is what they represent in the larger political scene today. There is not enough focus on either side for constructive things to happen more quickly.

Obama has promised health care reform since his presidential campaign. Although he did outline key features that should be in the bill, he has approached health reform with a much more hands-off approach than former President Clinton and left the task of crafting a bill to Congress. Granted, he had good reason to believe it would happen by August, considering that his own party controlled both the House and the Senate. Unfortunately, this displayed one of the ugliest sides of politics — entrenched, drawn-out legislating.

Throughout this, rumors of “death panels,” illegal alien coverage under a universal system and loss of Medicare have spread from the blogosphere into mainstream news media.

Some political scientists have even wondered whether it was wise for Obama to take on such a large issue that so many former presidents have fought for and failed to accomplish fully.

As shown by the legislating in Congress over details of potential health reform bills, big programs take a lot of energy and political capital to accomplish. Obama simply is going about governing in a different way.

Although it is true that many of the things referenced in the SNL skit have yet to be accomplished, very few, if any, should be by now. It would have been unrealistic to expect both Middle East wars to be won by Obama in less than a year in office when the architects of the wars failed to do so over a longer period of time. He still has at least three years left in office.

If Obama can find a more efficient way to legislate, possibly in the face of a more conservative Congress following the 2010 midterm elections, he can put the idea that he has done “nothing” to rest.

Justin Covington is a State News guest columnist and a political science junior. Reach him at coving27@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Public should give Obama time” on social media.