Sunday, May 19, 2024

Freeman hopes to help lead soccer team back to NCAAs

Freeman

The State News caught up with MSU women’s soccer forward Cara Freeman on her small break from the workout room this week. Last year, the zoology junior started every game and was ranked third on the team in points and goals. This year, she has one goal and one assist in the team’s first two games. The Illinois native exudes confidence in all her mannerisms, saying, “I just love to live each day. That’s me; I’m just happy all the time.”

The State: News Do you have a most embarrassing moment that’s happened on the field?

Cara Freeman: (Laughs) Oh, I just had one. In practice today, I was running and out of nowhere fell on my own while the whole team was looking.

SN: Does the team have any nicknames for you?

CF: Yeah, CaraBell, kinda like Clara Bell Smith. One of our seniors that graduated made it up.

SN: Do you have any funny stories with head coach Tom Saxton?

CF: I think any story that makes Tom feel uncomfortable. Any girl issue and he’ll be really uncomfortable, so it’s funny for us.

SN: Are there any team pregame rituals you can let us in on that you guys do to get ready for the game?

CF: We’re all really focused, but we like to dance. We get the music going and we crank it in the locker room and just dance.

SN: Any favorite songs you guys like to play?

CF: Anything rap. We’re all about the rap right now.

SN: Is that also what’s on your iPod, or what kind of music do you like to listen to?

CF: My iPod has everything.

SN: Country?

CF: Not so much country. More like rap, alternative rock, anything really. And a little country — Taylor Swift — the good stuff.

SN: Favorite junk food?

CF: Ice cream.

SN: What flavor?

CF: Any flavor. I’m a big fan of ice cream.

SN: How do you treat yourself after a win?

CF: Ice cream. A big dinner and ice cream.

SN: Are you excited about heading to California soon for your upcoming games?

CF: Yes I am. I am really excited, I have family over there so hopefully I will be able to see them when I’m there too.

SN: Do you have a favorite TV show?

CF: I don’t really watch that much TV, but I would probably have to go with that Wife Swap show, just because it’s hilarious.

Share and discuss “Freeman hopes to help lead soccer team back to NCAAs” on social media.